Chapter 4

Choking back her sobs, Sophie could barely manage to whisper, "He's gone."

Grady and Edaline looked at each other with sad, concerned eyes.

"He's really... g-gone." Sophie's eyes welled with tears again, the bags of her eyes already red and swollen. 

She thought about what this would truly mean. For her. 

No more smirks, or mischievous gleams with his ice blue eyes.

No more blue, calming breezes.

No more coming to her rescue when she was sad.

No more staring into his eyes, and realizing how lucky she was to have him as a friend. 

"Sophie... Sophie, talk to us." Grady said, his voice choked out.

Sophie looked up at her parents, as she let the tears fall, her Grady and Edaline engulfing her into a bear hug that seemed to last an eternity. Flori also put a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it gently. 

Edaline helped her walk to her bed, as she and Grady sat down on either sides of her. Edaline rubbed her back, as she put her head into Grady's chest, soaking his tunic with wet, salty tears. 

"Drink this, dear," said Edaline as she conjured up a bottle. 

"No! No sedatives," Sophie begged.

"It's not a sedative, honey, it's just some Youth," replied Edaline, smoothing out Sophie's blond hair.

"Oh."

Grady gently nudged Sophie off his chest, giving the bottle of the pure, sweet water to her as Edaline handed it to him.

"Drink up, Sophie..." he said, with bleak, tired eyes.

Sophie guzzled down the whole bottle, hiccuping with sniffles. She wiped her mouth with her sleeves. Looking at the paintings Keefe gave her again brought a flood of emotions to her. Her parents followed her gaze, their eyes settling on the portrait of them and Sophie. Keefe had painted it before, and had gifted it to Sophie.

 Grady had his doubts on Keefe, and he still did, but he and Edaline saw so much more to him in the recent weeks. Not only had they seen how caring Keefe was, but they also saw how much Sophie relied on him. 

But now, as they read over the letter Keefe had written, they knew that this time, he might be gone... for good.

And Sophie seemed to realize it too.