Chapter 9

A/N: AAH! It's been 5-6 days since I did Chapter 8, I swear I meant to update but I was busy with the end of the week what with school, and yesterday I had to go to my cousin's so I didn't get to. Thank you for being patient while I update, my schedule is usually update every 2-5 days?? I think that's a good timeframe, and I swear I'll try to stick to it! Enjoy chapter 9!

Sophie woke up to a familiar nuzzling sensation, and she saw Wynn and Luna snuggling into her shoulders to her left. A smile crept up her face, as she giggled while watching the alicorn twins play.

She got out of bed, and inhaled the soothing scent of Calla's Panakes blossoms. Sophie slept well that night, thanks to Flori. Her hands traced up to her hair, where she felt her beautifully plaited braids. She wasn't ready to take them out yet, so she smoothed out her ruffly nightdress and walked through the gleaming-with-green pastures, to where Edaline was gathering swizzlespice stalks for Silveny and Greyfell's breakfast. 

"Good morning, Sophie," she greeted, with a small grin.

Sophie pulled Edaline in a small hug, while saying quietly, "Morning, mom."

"Did you sleep well, darling?" asked Edaline, with her hands trailing along Sophie's braids.

"I did, thanks to Flori! She sang me some songs and made these braids for me. Do you like them?"

Edaline's smile grew larger, and she replied, "I love them, Sophie! You're starting to look more and more like Jolie every day."

Sophie's face broke out into a grin, and she and Edaline chatted for a while until they went inside Havenfield where a lovely spread of Elvin delicacies were set, making her mouth water.

Sophie's eyes wandered to the stairs, where she heard the clomping of feet coming down the steps. Grady came into view, looking particularly handsome in his blue jerkin and silvery cape, clasped together with the Ruewen crest.

He swept Sophie in a bear hug, smiling for the first time in a few days. "Morning, kiddo!" he said, before turning towards Edaline, wrapping his arms around her and giving her a quick kiss. 

His eyes spotted the assortment of sweet, flaky, and buttery treats lining the humongous counter. 

"Wow, someone's been busy," he commented, after his stomach grumbled. 

Edaline smiled at him, and conjured up some plates. 

"What are you waiting for? Dig in!" she said, eyeing Grady and Sophie.

They didn't need to be told twice. Sophie dashed straight for the heaping pile of ripplefluffs, taking a handful of the delectable pastries. And so she went, taking a few of the many treats Edaline had made. 

She kept going until she got to the butterblasts, when she stopped as she stared blankly at the round, glaze-covered pastry balls. She remembered when she and Keefe had snuck into the secret staff cafeteria in Foxfire, one of the nights when she was recovering from the Neverseen's ambush on her and Fitz. 

She remembered how Keefe had handed her a butterblast, before shoving a few into his own mouth, mumbling through bites about how they were the best snacks ever. 

Sophie's mouth became dry, as she continued to stare at the plate of butterblasts.

"I never reveal my secrets to anyone," said Keefe, his face covered in the pale blue moonlight.

"Not even me?" Sophie had said, half teasingly.

Keefe stared at her intently. "No. Not even you, Foster."

"At least not yet."

She blinked. Sophie carefully took the butterblast at the top of the pile, then took a seat at the crystal table adorned with pale pink flowers in the center. 

Grady and Edaline joined her, setting down their own plates. Edaline handed her a bottle of lushberry juice, then took a seat next to her husband.

They ate, and talked about normal things. Well... normal for Sophie, that is. She gave them some updates on Team Valiant, and that they were going to try and figure out what Lady Gisela could have wanted with Keefe's new powers.

Saying his name made Sophie's voice crack.

Strangely, though, when Sophie said Keefe's name, Grady went pale and dropped his plate, as she watched it shatter into a million pieces. Kind of like her heart in the past few days. 

Edaline set to work, conjuring away the pieces before wrapping her arms around Grady leading him to a chair. Sophie watched, torn with curiosity as she remembered the many times her father had gotten pale when discussing Keefe. 

"Umm.. Are you okay, dad?" asked Sophie carefully.

"Erm...," was all Grady managed to sputter out, while Edaline rubbed his back in slow circles.

"He's just tired, Sophie. Nothing to be worried about," she said, managing a rueful smile.

Somehow Sophie didn't believe that. She narrowed her eyes at her adoptive parents. "You sure...? You seemed fine a few minutes ago, but when I brought up Team Valiant you zoned out."

"It's not Team Valiant," Grady said, regaining his voice.

"Then what is it?" Sophie countered.

"Nothing. You don't have to concern yourself with it."

"Pretty sure I have to if your going pale every time I say- Wait... This is about Keefe, isn't it?"

"No!" Grady burst, growing paler and more anxious by the second. Edaline stayed quiet, fumbling with her sleeves.

Sophie knew Grady would be upset for anyone going through a hard time, but she didn't expect him to grow all pale and concerned for Keefe, of all people. Actually, she kind of expected him to get mad, possibly flaring up at "That Boy".

"Seriously, what's wrong? You're freaking me out," Sophie begged to know.

"We're just... worried about him. Yeah. He must be going through a lot right now," Edaline said for Grady, not very convincingly.

"Oh, um. Okay," Sophie said, not wanting to push the matter forward for Grady's sake. He really didn't look well.

The rest of breakfast went in silence. Grady refused to eat anymore, tilting in his seat. 

Sophie finished her juice and said, "I think I'll go upstairs now."

She got up while Edaline put her plate away, walking towards the stairs as she bent down to tie her shoe, away from her parent's view. 

A conversation started in the kitchen, catching Sophie's attention.

A/N: WOW! 1018 words. This took a while to write, though it's probably going to take you all minutes to read :'] Now I know why it takes Shannon Messenger so long to write the books. But this was super fun to develop, I hope you enjoyed! Don't forget to comment and vote if you'd like!