Chapter 8

Her friends had left after they went upstairs to brainstorm a plan to get back Keefe. They hadn't made any progress, since they had no clue where to start. 

Sophie rolled over on her bed and groaned, mostly because her mind felt... empty. It's so ironic, she thought. We have too many problems right now, and my head feels hollow. 

She sat up in bed, wrapping the blanket around herself. Suddenly, she felt a surge of frustration. Sophie was here, lying in bed, doing nothing while the Neverseen were still out there, the threat of attack looming over their heads. 

Sophie sighed with angst, and walked outside to the Panakes tree, still bundled up in her fuzzy blanket. She leaned her head back against the braided bark of the tree, remembering Calla's soft, earthy hair, tied into plaits. 

"Do you remember why she made those plaits?" a soft voice asked in the darkness.

Sophie's eyes flew open, as she looked around and saw Flori standing to her side, holding a woven basket full of Starkflowers. Their lulling aroma soothed her.

"I can't really think about anything right now, Flori."

"Oh. Well, then I'll tell you, just as Aunt Calla told you in Alluveterre," said Flori, positioning herself to the left of Sophie.

"Calla's mother used to tie her hair in braids. She called them 'tomorrow braids.' When Calla asked why, she said that it was to keep your worries away. Every knot was one worry. That way, when you tied them up, your worries leave you alone for the night."

Sophie remembered the time when Calla had told her these exact words, plaiting her hair when she couldn't sleep.

As if Flori could read her mind, she brushed her gentle hands down Sophie's blond hair, before taking them into soft, silky sections and intertwining them with each stroke of her fingers.

Sophie's eyes started to close, and before they shut, she heard Flori's melodious voice say, "Sweet dreams, my brave moonlark."

A/N: Aww! This chapter was so soothing, but I admit, it stumped me in the start. I think I have a good idea of how I want the next few chapters to look like, though! So maybe I'll be posting earlier than usual.