15: Honorable Duel

"This final playoff match between Yugi Muto and Joey Wheeler will not only determine who wins the tournament but also, who wins a match with Mr. Maximillion Pegasus," said the announcer.

Down on the arena, standing across from one another was Joey and Yugi. Kira felt bad as she watched the two look wearily at the other. These guys were best friends and both of them needed to win this tournament to get what they wanted.

Yugi's thoughts pulsed out to her as if he was asking for her advice. 'I have to win that match with Pegasus. And I have to stop him and save my grandpa!'

Before she could reply, Bakura spoke up beside her. "Who would have guessed that out of all the duelists who started in this tournament, two best friends would wind up in the final match?"

Tristan nodded. "Yeah, this is definitely harsh, but at least one of 'em's gonna get a chance to take on Pegasus."

Téa sighed from Bakura's other side. "I guess you're right. But don't you think it'd be easier if they just flipped a coin or something? Then we could get our match with Pegasus now."

Kira closed her eyes and thought to Yugi. 'This is a difficult situation. But the best you can do is follow your heart.'

He looked in her direction. 'My heart is telling me I have to save my grandfather... but I also am best friends with Joey...'

Bakura and Tristan looked to Tea as Tristan replied, "I don't think that it works that way, Téa."

"Well why doesn't it?" the girl exclaimed sadly, blinking her blue eyes. "Yugi and Joey are like brothers. They shouldn't be forced to fight each other like this!"

"I totally hear what you're saying, but it's just how this tournament works," Tristan told her.

"Well I don't like it," Téa snapped.

"If it makes you feel better," Kira said to her, offering a smile. "When I went to talk to Yugi before Joey's match, they both agreed to stay best friends no matter what and battle each other honorably." The girl looked back down at Yugi who looked slightly conflicted. "It'll be a rough duel but I have to believe they meant what they said."

"Joey, wait a sec," Yugi suddenly spoke up, blinking his big eyes.

"Listen, Yuge," Joey said deeply without any hesitation. "I hope this isn't about you having any second thoughts duelin' me." Yugi gaped. "Come on, pal."

"I'm sorry Joey." Yugi looked down. "But I don't know if I can do this."

'Yes you can,' Kira told him. 'You have to.'

"Aw suck it up, Yugi," scoffed Joey, to Yugi's surprise. "You said it yourself. If it came down to us, we'd both just play our best and most honorable duel. That's the only way we're gonna really know which one of us is best prepared to take on Pegasus in the final match. So let's duel!"

Yugi frowned slightly. 'Okay, maybe you and Joey are right. I may not want to do this. But still, it has to be done if we want to beat Pegasus.' Kira nodded.

"Whadaya say, Yuge?" Joey called. "Let's do this thing!"

Suddenly the lights flashed and Yami stood in Yugi's place with an unreadable expression on his face. "Alright, Joey. Tiem to duel."

'Atta boys,' Kira told him and Yami smirked slightly at that comment.

"Your gracious host will now make a few opening remarks," Croquet announced before backing up slightly.