5: Disappointment of the Duel

Kira let out a sigh as she stared at nothing in particular. She was following along with the others, listening to Joey talk about finding someone to duel. Yugi had returned to himself after his duel and Yami had returned into the Puzzle. Kira's thoughts were spinning in confusion about the strange presence within Yugi.

"Okay, bring 'em on! I'm itchin' to duel and I'm takin' on the next player we see!" Joey told his friends.

Téa said quietly to the others. Kira nodded although she wasn't listening. "You know, I'm not so sure Joey's up to this."

"Yeah, there are tournament-level players here." Tristan added. "But don't you think he's smart enough to realize..."

Joey approached and put his hands on his hips. "Here I stand, the next Duel Monsters champion!"

Téa blinked. "He needs a reality check."

Tristan frowned. "Guess he's about as smart as he looks."

Kira looked past him at the scene beyond. There were people all over the island dueling one another. Téa followed her gaze and gasped.

"Look there!" she cried.

Tristan grinned. "Duel Monsters stadiums! Look at them. They're all over!"

"You said it!" Yugi smiled. "Lots of dueling going on!" He looked to Kira and saw that she seemed distracted.

Joey "Right! I'm going in!" He started marching towards the crowds of duelists below them.

Tristan turned to him. "You sure you wanna do this? If you lose, you give up your only star chip."

"That's right." Tea gave him a sad look.

Joey frowned and Yugi said, "Don't panic. You can do this, Joey. You do know that, don't you?"

"I'll be back!" Kira said suddenly. She turned and began walk away from them.

She looked down at her one star chip on her glove. If she wanted to win she would have to duel. And she wasn't sure if she could do it around the others. Kira didn't want her new friends to see her lose. These were the only friends she had and she didn't want to disappoint them. Especially Yugi. He was so talented and she was barley a novice. The only duelists she looked up to were Yugi and Seto and both of them were the best in the world.

"Kira!" Yugi's voice surprised her. She stopped and saw him running to her.

"Hey Yugi," Kira said to him.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "You look sad."

"I'm okay," Kira said to him. Yugi gave her a look and raised an eyebrow. "I just think I need to fight a few duels on my own."

"Why?" Yugi asked. "We are here for you. We are here to cheer you on."

"I know." Kira sat down on a log and Yugi sat beside her. "I... I just have never had friends before..."

"What?"

Kira sighed at Yugi's confusion. "The only friend I have ever had was Seto. And he and I aren't even friends anymore, I guess." Kira shrugged. "I just don't want to lose anymore friends."

"Why would you lose us?" Yugi asked, putting his arms around her. Her eyes watered slightly.

"You would be disappointed," Kira told him. "If I lost."

"We would never be disappointed in you if you lost!" Yugi said quickly. She looked at him. "All that matters is that you have fun. No matter what, we will still be your friends."