7: A Bet of Souls

"Wow, Yugi! Téa exclaimed as they walked along the shoreline. "I can't believe you already won six star chips!"

Tristan laughed. "Yeah! Pretty soon you'll have the ten you need to get into Pegasus' castle, and rescue your grandpa!"

Joey sighed. "I wish I had more star chips."

Kira smiled at him. "Don't worry about it, Joey, you're doing fine. You'll be able to help your sister out soon."

Joey looked at the ground bashfully. "I sure hope so..."

"HELP!" A shout echoed in the distance.

Tristan stiffened, getting in front of everyone protectively. "What's that?"

"Help me, somebody, please!"

They all looked ahead to see a boy being dragged away by one of Pegasus' men. Kira watched as she remembered his name was Kemo.

"Let go of me, somebody help me!" the boy shouted, trying to get away.

Tristan ran forward. "Hold on, kid, we're comin'!"

"Help, you gotta help me!"

They followed as Tristan charged into Kemo and they got into a scuffle. Kemo shoved Tristan to the ground before grabbing the kid, who had tried to escape.

Yugi shouted at Kemo. "What do you think you're doin'?"

Kemo frowned. "This is none of your business. This duelist lost his star chips. And the rules say he's to be kicked off the island!"

"But I didn't lose my chips in a duel, they were stolen from me! My cards, too!"

"I don't care what lame excuse you have, kid, you need star chips to duel and you haven't got any, so you're shippin' outta here!" Kemo rolled his eyes. "Those're the rules. Those are my orders from Pegasus himself." He started dragging the kid away, leaving them behind.

Tristan stood up, brushing the dust off of him. "Ugh, that big creep! I say we follow him!"

Everyone nodded in agreement and slowly followed behind Kemo and the kid. Kemo led the kid to the dock and forced him into a row boat.

"Hey, you!" Yugi called, as he and his friends walked onto the dock.

"You again?" Kemo groaned.

Yugi looked at the kid. "What did the guy who stole your star chips look like?"

The kid stuttered. "Well, I couldn't see his face. I-it was covered with a bandanna. But he was a little guy, and he challenged me in the meadow."

"He challenged you to a Duel Monsters game?" Kira asked in confusion.

"Yeah." The kid gave her a nod. "But as soon as I put my star chips and Duel Monsters deck down, he snatched 'em up and ran off with them!"

Yugi narrowed his eyes. "You shouldn't be shipped off the island for that! We'll get your star chips back."

Kemo shook his head. "This boat leaves in exactly thirty minutes. Anyone without a star chip ships out."

"Then we'll get his chips back by that time." Téa glared at him.

Tristan nodded. "We won't let you bully him out of the game!"

"Nope! We'll catch that little thief and bring him to justice! Believe me, kid, you can count on us to track him down and get those star chips back!"Joey assured the kid.