22: the Millennium Necklace

Joey and Kira walked side by side to school, enjoying the beautiful morning. Kira was dreading the school day, frowning at how mad the Headmaster of the school would be since she missed school for a month.

"What's on your mind, Kira?" Joey asked finally. "You've barely said a word since we left the hospital yesterday."

"I am just worried," Kira admitted to him.

"About what?"

"About many things but mostly about Yugi and Yami." Kira sighed. "Knowing what I know now, I fear for them."

"By the way..." Joey hesitated. "Where have you been for the past month? We were all worried about you."

"Well..." Kira sighed. "I kind of ran off to Egypt."

"Egypt?" Joey repeated, wide-eyed. "Why'd you do that?"

"Well, Egypt seemed to have all the answers. I know a guy there," she explained. "However, he didn't have all the answers I was looking for."

"Oh." The blond blinked in confusion. "Well, we all missed you, Kira."

She smiled. "I missed you too."

They quieted as they finally reached the school and entered for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kira gasped in relief as the school day ended and put everything in her backpack. Quickly she stood up and made for the hallways, wanting to speak to Yugi on the walk home from school. She had missed him terribly and they had not spoken since the hospital.

But as she came around the corner she saw him talking to Téa by the doors to the school, standing under the roof to avoid the rain. Kira ducked back around the corner, not wanting to interrupt their conversation. She sighed as Yugi suddenly ran out into the rain, calling behind him how he would meet Téa tomorrow for something.

With a frown, Kira walked the opposite direction feeling slightly crestfallen. Yugi had made no attempts to talk with her, or speak with her in her mind for that matter. Was he mad at her for leaving or did he have a lot on his mind? Did he not feel anything for her any longer? He had with no doubt changed since the Duelist Kingdom tournament.

Kira regretted leaving in the first place. Just as she was beginning to leave the school, a voice sounded in her head.

'Kira Ellen.'

She froze in her step, looking around her. Since she had left, other voices had been sounding in her head, many of them dark and sinister. But this one sounded friendly, almost curious.

'Who are you?' Kira asked, looking around for anything out of the ordinary. Everyone around her seemed preoccupied in their own conversations.

'Meet with me tomorrow. At the Egyptian History Museum. I have much to tell you.' The female voice told her before disappearing into silence.

Kira narrowed her eyes and swallowed. If Yugi was hanging out with Téa tomorrow then he would be okay without her guidance for a day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, as planned, Kira walked into the Egyptian History Museum. A long-sleeved dark blue jacket glided lightly behind her as she entered the familiar space, matching with her black pants and lacey white shirt. Before traveling to Egypt, she had come to this place first in search of answers. Nothing here had been helpful.