9: A Game of Roulette

Rex snarled in frustration. "Your horned freaks may've won control of the field..." He placed a card facedown. "But now it's time to see if you can hold it. Trakodon!" His monster appeared with a loud screech.

Joey's face of confidence didn't falter. "Battleguard! Give that card a bashin'!" Rex's monster was destroyed and everyone cheered from the sideline.

Tristan laughed. "Whoa, look at 'em glow! Those guys're some kinda tag-team!"

Yugi nodded with a grin. "Wow, you're right about that! The power bonus they gain from both being on the field at the same time makes them a tough two to beat!"

"No joke!" Tristan agreed. "And since Joey's already taken out Rex's best monster card, the rest'll be cake! Finish him, bro!"

Kira remained quiet. If she knew Rex like she thought she did, then he had an evil trick up his sleeve.

"Who said that Serpent Night Dragon Joey destroyed two turns ago was my best card?" The dinosaur jerk sneered and drew a card. His eyes flashed up to Joey in triumph. "My supreme monster is a dragon, but of a different sort! The Red-Eyes Black Dragon!"

Everyone gasped as an erie screech sounded and a large dragon with fiery red eyes and shiny black scales emerged into view. Kira couldn't believe her eyes. Seto had looked for one of those cards for years. How did this cheater get it?

Mai blinked in shock. "A what dragon?"

"A Red-Eyes," Kira said quietly. "I've never seen one. They are so rare. Almost as powerful as a Blue-Eyes!"

"That's rights sweet cheeks." Rex smirked at her and turned back to Joey. "Your pair of primates can power up 'til they're green in the face, they're still no match for the thrashing power of this beast!" The blonde mumbled nervously in response.

Yugi said, "So it does exist. My grandpa told me about this card."

Mai scoffed. "It's about time Rex played a card that'll put Joey in his place."

Rex crossed his arms, still taunting Joey. "And if you think those brain-dead brutes of yours will rescue each other from this dragon's rampage, think again! With "Dragon Nails", my Red-Eyes gets a power boost strong enough to clobber an army of your Battleguards!" He stuck a finger out in Joey's direction. "Red-Eyes Black Dragon! Inferno Fire Blast!"

"Joey!" Kira gasped and clenched her fists.

Both of the battling monsters disappeared instantly from Joey's side of the field and his points dwindle to a measly 235.

"How could he torch them both with just one shot?" Joey asked to no one in particular as he frantically looked at the cards in his hand.

"Those who defend together, are destroyed together!" Rex laughed. "Don't tell me ya thought their little clubs would be enough to save them from my dragon's wrath."

Tristan growled and glared at the ground. "That creep!"

Kira ignored the bantering in the background of Mai and Rex and tried to think of a way Joey could possibly get his way out of this one. If she remembered correctly, there was only one way Joey could win.

Tristan's shout brought her back to the present. "Yo, Joey! You may not have the monster to beat that thing, but you got the smarts!"

Yugi followed up. "We're not giving up on you, Joey!"

"Don't forget dueling's more about heart than strength!" Téa shouted.

"Just breathe Joey!" Kira told him. "Take your time!"