12: Inner Wounds

Kira tried to stay awake. Large drops of sweat rolled down her face as she tried to breathe evenly. Kaiba was sitting next to her, leaning against the castle wall.

"Don't Kira," Kaiba tried to soothe her. "Once Yugi comes, I'll duel him, and then we will get you that antidote." He wiped some sweat off her head with a handkerchief.

"I... I hate to say it," Kira stammered with what she could manage of a grin. "What if you lose?"

"I won't," he promised her. "Yugi won't let you die."

"He is also not gonna let Pegasus keep his grandfather's soul," she pointed out.

"You'd think someone as rich as Pegasus would put in an elevator!" Joey's voice rung out from close by.

Kaiba's head snapped in their direction. "Stay here Kira. I've gotta go do this." He gave her a kiss on the top of her head before leaving the shade and going to block the entrance to the castle. Kira mumbled a protest but he was already gone, standing in the entrance with his arms crossed.

"Hey, guys, look!" She heard Tristian say. She managed to turn her head to see her friends approach where Kaiba was standing. "You're not gonna believe who's blocking our way into the castle!"

"It's Kaiba!" Yugi gasped. Kira's eyes traveled to his fully star chipped glove. She smiled and also saw Joey had won 10-star chips. She weakly sighed. She knew they could do it.

"The heck is he doin' here?" Joey said with a hiss.

Yugi walked up to Kaiba, who held out a hand. "I can't let you pass, Yugi."

"I've won ten star chips so stand aside," Yugi told him.

"You may've won enough star chips to qualify for the Duelist Kingdom playoffs, Yugi..." Kaiba hesitated before he continued. "But I can't allow you to face Pegasus. He's mine. You and I are going to have one final duel and you will lose, and I will win. The winds of change are blowing, Yugi Muto!"

Téa groaned and said something but Kira let out a wheeze and couldn't hear what she said.

"Step aside, Kaiba" Yugi repeated firmly.

"Not until you agree to duel me!"

"I'm not dueling you," he replied in annoyance. "I don't have to!"

"So. No longer confident your so-called Heart of the Cards can help you win? Or are you afraid you can't beat me without Exodia? That's it, isn't it, Yugi? You're just afraid you can't beat me a second time. You coward!" Kiaba egged, trying to get Yugi to change his mind.

Kira tried to reach out to his with her thoughts but she was too weak. Her hands started shaking.

Téa got in Kaiba's face. "You back off! He doesn't have to prove anything!"

"You wanna duel, smart-mouth? I'll take ya, come on, let's duel!" Joey challenged. When Kaiba started chuckling, the blonde gritted his teeth. "Don't laugh!"

"Wait, where is Kira?" Yugi asked, his face turning panicked. "Wasn't she with you?"

Kaiba's face fell a little but he recovered quickly. "Yes."

Téa's eyes widened. "What happened? Where is she?" Kira wanted to shout to them. She could barely move.

"Yugi..." Kaiba began. "You said you won by tapping into the Heart of the Cards, and for a long time, I didn't know what that meant. But now, I think I do. And it took Pegasus to show me." He looked Yugi in the eyes. "If you won't duel for me, then do the duel for her." He pointed at Kira's spot in the shade.