11: Seto's Return

Kira tried to leap inside the dueling arena but a burst of flames fumed directly in front of her. She screamed and fell backwards. Bakura and Joey ran up and dragged her away from the ring of fire. She knew Yugi was still alive, she could hear his thoughts. He must have projecting them to her so she could listen in.

'My Millennium Puzzle protects me from your cowardly assault. But nothing will protect you from... OBLIVION!'

There was a scream from Panik that suddenly was silenced.

The flames faded away and Yami walked towards them ominously. He had the look in eyes from earlier and Kira shivered as she remembered him blasting away Evil Kaiba. The others weren't as bothered by it. Could they see it like she could? Why was she the only one that could talk and interact with the Yami fellow.

Yami approached them, stopping beside Kira. He gave her a firm nod and she gave him a knowing look.

'I have too many questions.' she thought to him.

'Later I will answer them.' Yami promised, giving her a smirk. The expression overpowered her emotions and she felt a rush of attractiveness for him. She looked down at her feet.

Téa laughed. "Yugi, you were incredible!"

"Your Millennium Puzzle has more power than we thought," Tristan observed, clapping his buddy happily on the back.

Yugi walked past them without saying anything and Kira released a breath she hadn't known she was holding. The duelist approached Mai, who was standing off to the side. Kira had barely noticed her.

"Yugi... I don't know what to say..." Mai said quietly.

"Here. These star chips are yours." Yami held out a palm full of star chips he had somehow collected. Seeing Kira's confused look, Téa explained that Panik had forced Mai to give him all of her star chips. Mai looked at the star chips sadly. "They're yours. Take them."

"Go on," Téa pressed.

Mai gave him a hard look. "I'm sorry, but I can't accept them. I fight my own battles!"

"Mai, Yugi battled for you," Téa angrily told her. She marched up to stand beside Yugi. "He risked his life in this duel for you."

"I-I know, but..." Mai stuttered.

"There's no point in arguing. She's way too thickheaded," Joey chuckled as he walked up to them. He stook the star chips from Yami. "But, if she'd rather be booted off the island, I'll take 'em!"

Mai growled, "You think me losing all my star chips is funny, Joey Wheeler?"

"I thought ya didn't want 'em, Mai."

"Give 'em back!" She reached for them and Joey held them out willingly.

"Of course you can have 'em. They're yours," Joey told her with a small smile.

"Really, Joey...?" Mai hesitated, wrapping a wrist around the stars.

"Didn't you learn anything from this duel?" Joey laughed. "You can't always keep your defenses up, 'cause they'll just get between you, and the other people who're tryin' to be your friends. So can't ya let your shield down? Just this one time?" Mai thought for a moment before nodding slowly with a smile. "Ha! I'm such a sensitive guy!"

Tristan smirked and turned to walk back to the campsite. "Yeah, when you're not being a pain."

"Which is most of the time," Téa added, she and Bakura following him.

"Ah, my adorin' fans!" Joey said and ran after them.

Yugi waited for Kira to make her way over to them before turning to walk back with her.