17: The Millennium Eye

"This is it!" Yami declared, holding up his first card. "Now we begin! I lay one card face down... and throw this monster card in defense mode." He also put it upside down.

Kira watched in concern as Pegasus laughed, "Ooh, a sneaky play. That wouldn't be a beaver warrior, would it?"

Yami gasped. 'Is his Millineum Eye really allowing him to read my cards?'

'Is that what you put down?' Kira asked in surprise.

'Yeah!'

'Do you think he can hear me talking to you?' She thought.

'I don't know...'

Pegasus chuckled and Yami narrowed his eyes with a small growl. "Oh this is so much fun." Pegasus drew. "I'll lay one card face down as well... and throw this, my own monster card. I play red archery girl in defense mode. Back to you, Yugi-Boy."

Yugi's thoughts were questioning despite the stern look on Yami's face. 'Red archery girl? Why did he play such a weak monster in defense mode? Is he trying to draw me into an attack?'

'Don't do it.' Kira shook her head. 'Who knows what he thinks you know.'

'Pegasus seems so confident but that's always been his style...' Yugi thought.

'He never reveals his true motives.' Kira reminded him.

'His down card worries me, but I can't pass up this chance to gain an early point advantage.'

'What if he has a trap?' She looked at him widely, but it was too late.

"I switch the beaver warrior I had hidden to attack mode!" Yami announced and his monster appeared. "And I activate my hidden card, the horn of the unicorn, as well. His electricity powers up his sword, raising his attack power by 700. Now, attack the archery girl!"

"You've made a grave mistake, Yugi," Pegasus immediately spoke up. "You should have listened to Kira Kira." He flashed her a pointed look before continuing. "You've activated my trap card!"

'You were right, Kira! I should've known!' Yugi thought angrily.

"Tears of a mermaid!" Pegasus yelled. Bubbles appeared out of his archery girl and suddenly surrounded Yami's monster.

"What's happening?" Yami demanded in confusion.

"Unfortunately for you, tears of a mermaid activates the moment an opponent's hidden card is put into play," Pegasus told him. "It blocks all possible attacks by the opponent's monster. The beaver warrior's electric attack backfires against the beaver itself, and its attack power drops to its original value." Yami growled. "Now that it's weaker, I'll switch my red archery girl to attack mode. Archery girl, turn that beaver into road kill! Beaver warrior is eliminated."

Pegasus - 2000 VS Yugi - 1800

'Pegasus must be reading my mind!' Yugi exclaimed to her. 'It's the only way he could've been so prepared to counter my cards.'

'Your thoughts aren't safe Yugi!' Kira stressed. 'Neither are mine! Either he can hear me reaching out to you or he knows that you are replying to me.'

'How can I win against an opponent who can know my cards and sense my strategies as soon as I think them up?' Yugi wondered and Yami looked over at her for help.

"How indeed!" Pegasus answered for Kira. "I think... Oh, wait, I know you're just beginning to comprehend my power. Do you know realize the magnitude of the jeopardy you've put yourself in by accepting this duel? How can you defeat not only the creator of Duel Monsters but a duelist who can read your every thought?" Pegasus smirked evilly, his words sending chills down Kira's spine. "I can see everything in your mind! Your hopes, your dreams, and even your fears. And what you fear most right now is me, and with good reason. You know my mind-reading abilities give me an unbeatable advantage."