17.

Chapter 17

⋆.:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Applejack

"After her sister's death, she went crazy. She told me there were voices in her head she couldn't control. And they were telling her to do things."

I sat on the edge of the curb, staring at the cloudless sky. Ever since I had connected the pieces, I had been completely paralyzed.

After all our hard work we were finally back to our normal lives. We sacrificed everything just so we could get back where we are now.

Where I am now.

There was no more Rarity in this.

"A day before she died, she told me she could fly. Then I found her on the side of a building dead."

The memory left a lump in my throat.

Mom's life ended because of herself. She killed herself.

"We were too late."

She killed herself.

Pops had already failed to save someone from ending their life. At any point, he could have given my mom the help she needed. But because of his absence in doing so, she doesn't exist anymore.

His family hated him, his wife was dead. The world had done everything in an attempt to defeat him. And in a way, the world did win.

It was useless to dwell on the past like this. Mom was dead, and there was nothing anyone can do about it.

But Rarity. I still had a chance to save her.

With that small burst of confidence, I was able to regain my ability to move again. Standing up, I slowly turned back to where Rarity's house was. I heaved a sigh. The most I could do was wait for her.

Before our last death, Rarity had mentioned multiple times how much I changed her life. In truth, she had given too much credit to me, all I did was exist. What really shaped her were the deaths that had followed us everywhere. Having to die multiple times can really change a person.

The Rarity here never had to go through any of that. She was someone completely different. Innocent almost.

My thoughts were interrupted as soon as I heard a door slam. I looked over to her house, where she stood in front of the front door angered. Luckily, I was at a point where I was well hidden enough that she wouldn't find me.

Rarity swung open the door again. "If I get run over by a car out there, it'll be your fault!" she screamed. A part of me cringed when she spoke about death like that.

"I told you Rarity, it's too early for me to go out there. We spend a lot of money sending you to that preppy school, you should appreciate us and take the bus," a distant voice from inside responded.

"You-," she paused her voice breaking. She took a sharp breath in and looked back at the person inside. "I hate you," she hissed. She slammed the door and started to weakly walk off.

After hearing that interaction, it made me wonder if Rarity had actually died — that would have been the last thing her family heard from her. The cold stare of someone you loved, muttering three bitter words to you. Having that as your last memory of a loved one would cut deep, the weight of guilt would be on your shoulders wherever you would go.

It only took a few steps and her phone ringing until Rarity completely broke. She threw the device onto the ground, stomping on it with her foot until it stopped making noise. After the realization of what she did hit her, she knelt staring at the broken pieces.