Four

“You are beautiful. You are strong. You are awesome. You are tough, you are the student body president,” I say the last bit in a low tone and laugh. “You are a smart, fierce female.”

I should be proud of myself and ignore my husband’s treatment of me. I am tough, the first female student body president my school has had in the last thirty years, it’s a big feat. I shouldn’t mind my husband’s dislike of virgins. He’s a monster.

As I murmur these words to myself in front of the long, standing mirror in our matrimonial bedroom, an invisible cloak settles on my shoulder. Even if it’s only for a moment, I feel better than I did earlier. Stronger.

Though my eyes are puffy from letting my emotions get the best of me but it is nothing a little makeup cannot fix. I lick my parched lips, I have a bad habit of biting them when I’m nervous. My reflection flashes me a fake smile with her hands going to her waist as she strikes a pose in her body-hugging gown that reveals even the contour of her belly button. I wink at her.

The top two buttons of the navy blue gown are down to reveal more than a decent amount of cleavage and her hair is swept up in a half-up, half-down hairstyle. The hair is away from my face as I like it and is also down, the way Brandon likes it.

Giving myself a mental kick, I remind my twin image in the mirror I did not dress up in my most provocative gown for Brandon neither did I style my hair this way for him. I am doing it for myself, yes, for myself first before him or anyone else.

My shoulder sags, I stare harder at myself in the mirror, maybe that’s a lie. I have not put on any lipstick yet because I don’t know his favourite colour, that’s if he has one. I don’t have any, I believe all colours have a role to play and should be loved equally.

The ringtone of my new iPhone, the first of many gifts that came from Brandon before the wedding cuts through my thoughts and I happily leave the mirror. Standing there didn’t do as much good for me as it usually did. Speaking to myself in front of a mirror before a big day has always had this magical effect on me. Except for today.

I panic and drop the phone when I see who’s calling: Clarissa. It’s not just any call, it’s a video call. Thankfully, my feet cushion the fall and I pick it up to see the screen is free from any cracks. I do not want my husband to have any other reason to dislike me more than he already does.

Clarissa doesn’t know I’m married, no one in school knows just yet and I hope I can keep it that way. I have only one more semester to go and it will be bye-bye university, welcome to real life.

“Bitch, where have you been? You went MIA on me,” Clarissa shouts as soon as my finger hits the receiver button. “Ouuuu, I like me some hot, sexy, black girl, who are we seducing tonight?” she says with a whistle.

A laugh escapes my lips, the sound causing her to laugh along. Clarissa is the only one who makes the word black sounds like a title, she has taught me to embrace my skin the same way she loves her Asian eyes.

“No one,” I murmur.

“Don’t you dare lie to me, lady,” she starts, “I can see right through you and I know you are avoiding my question. Where are you?”

“Clary.”

“No, no, no, no, no,” she cuts me off, “you are prepping for a lie, ain’t you?” Her eyes fill my screen and her voice reduces to a whisper, “Bitch, please. Don’t you dare lie to me.”

“Yes, bitch,” I reply and laugh out loud.

The word bitch coming from her sounds sexy, she’s the only one who’s allowed to call me that and many other names. I do the same too. We are that close, not just roommates, roommates and best friends.