Fifty-six

Brandon is in our kitchen. Brandon is in my parent’s kitchen. With Ma. I am trying to stay calm after they forced me out of the kitchen but I can’t. What if Ma slaps him again but with the skillet? Shit. I place a hand over my rioting heart. Okay. She is not violent.

“Amahle.” I stop pacing at the sound of Pa’s voice. “Come.” He pats the empty spot on the couch, I shuffle to sit beside him. “Why are you worried?” he says. He thinks I’m overreacting but he is not aware Ma hit Brandon. I don’t want him to find out. “Tell me.”

A voice comes from the television, he reduces the volume and I hide a smile, he is still invested in the Saturday morning news. Folding my legs, I tug on the hem of my gown. I am on a mission to seduce Brandon. This morning ended with me on his chest; no sex.

Pa gawks at me, I realise I haven’t provided him with an answer. “I’m not.” A brow lifts, I sigh. I don’t know how they do it but he and Ma can see through my lies. “I am nervous on his behalf, they have never spent time together before now. What if she hates him?”

She probably does. I ruined his perfect, kind image for her. They burst into the parlour with trays in their hands and blinding smiles. I sit up, I ruined nothing. They drop the trays on the table, Brandon comes to pull me up while Ma does the same with Pa. The smile plastered on his lips should make me glad but it freaks me out. A bit. Okay, a lot.

Another look at him as he drags me to the dining and the knots tighten in my belly. He didn’t plan to stay the night but I am glad he did. If not, I would never have gotten this opportunity to watch him in my clothes. A blue short that fits him more than it does me, even the shirt. My eyes lower to his backside, I let out a low whistle. I need to tap that.

Tap what? I need to calm down. But I am not wrong, he is my husband and I can’t resist casting another glance at his buttocks. I have to admit, the shorts were made for him.

We settle into our seats, I take my rightful place beside a quiet Brandon while Ma and Pa sit opposite us. Their love is almost sickening to watch with the number of smiles they exchange in under one minute. She is like the air Pa breaths and Pa is like the oxygen Ma needs to survive. Brandon squeezes my leg, his mouth lowers to place a kiss on my neck.

“Are you okay?” he whispers and I nod. I want what my parents have, maybe more. I want it with Brandon. I want forever and a day with this stubborn man. “Are you sure?”

I stifle a laugh, I am sure. “I love you,” I say low enough for only him to hear and he pecks me. Before he has a chance to withdraw, I peck him soundly on the lips and giggle.

Ma raises her head, her gaze alternates between me and Brandon. She loosens up when I wink. Pa barely turns to us, his attention are on two things: Ma and the food. I like it that way, it allows me to steal kisses from Brandon whose hand is hanging on my knee.

A tantalising aroma floats into my nose once the tray opens, I inhale, appreciating the delicacy. Ma says, “Brandon cooked.” In our dialect, she asks, “Do you cook at all?”

“Barely.” She makes a face, I add in a poor accent, “He doesn’t mind. He loves cooking.”

The face she makes isn’t one of disapproval but jealousy. Pa cannot cook to save himself but he helps in the kitchen. He tells jokes Ma has heard a thousand times or chops the onions while she cooks. It works for them. Brandon’s warm hand slides up my leg, he bunches my gown to my midthigh and I cast him a furtive glance. What is he doing?

“Are you okay?” Ma asks when I whimper. I nod. Her eyes dart to Brandon wearing an innocent smile while his fingers near my arousal. I will kill him. “We should eat.” Her eyes twinkle. Am I obvious? I clear my throat and she smiles. “The food will get cold.”