Sixty-four

The blazer I hold against Brandon’s torso doesn’t suit him, I shake my head and return it to the wardrobe, walking back to him a while later with another jacket. An exercise we have been going at for fifteen long minutes. If the tensing of Brandon’s shoulders and his pointed stare are signs to go by, he will snap soon. I want him to look his best, that’s all.

Joshua insisted I dressed nice but nice in a billionaire’s vocabulary could mean a lot of things and I want his parent to have the best first impression of me. Other daughters-in-law have their husbands guidance on their choice of outfit, mannerisms yet here I am fussing over my husband and the meeting with his parents. They must think me a snub.

I called them only once, to invite them for the dinner. They promised to keep in touch and they haven’t, so, the blames can be equally distributed. The hand clamped on my wrist stops me from retreating to the wardrobe for another outfit. His mouth is pressed into a thin line that has uncertainty seeping into me and I yank my hand from his grip.

His dark gaze brimming with a hint of annoyance sweeps over my body, I start second-guessing my decision to wear this nude matching underwear. We engage in a battle of stares, I silently implore him to be calm but a corner of his lip turn upwards until he’s scowling. My hand reaches for his in a bid to placate him, I plant a kiss on the inside of his palm and smile shyly. He relaxes only a little before his shoulders stiffen again.

“What is going on?” He enunciates each word, I twirl the pendant of his locket, hesitant to reply. There’s no way I can lie to him about this. But I can’t tell him the truth. “Elna.”

“Do you trust me?” I ask. My hand lowers to my waist, eyes lock with his. If my bump wasn’t separating us, I would have hugged him or reached for his beards but that simple action seems to require a lot of strength which I don’t have these days and I yawn.

Sensing my tiredness, Brandon tries to guide me to the bed but I shake my head. I have a feeling he might blow up soon and I need to be standing when he does. Without another look at him, I saunter to the dresser where I recline. For now, it can support my weight.

The glare I am rewarded with doesn’t bother me as much as the fact I am keeping a tiny secret from him. A secret in the form of three people seated at our gazebo. The place we celebrated his post-birthday dinner. Only two of us were in attendance and he made me promise to never make a fuss about his birthday again. He is so against the idea of celebrating something as silly as a birthday but I am glad to see him rocking my gifts.

In his opinion, birthdays are not important but we will have that fight another day. He sandwiches me between himself and the dresser as if afraid it will fall apart, I take the chance to slide my hands under his singlet, catching his tiny nipple between my fingers.

I know we should discuss like two adults but Brandon is overly sensitive about certain things like Brianna, his parents. I need him to be relaxed when I tell him about them.

The vibrating phone on the bed catches my eyes, I palm Brandon’s face to stop him from following my gaze. It has to be Josh or Lydia, she had the job of ushering them in and I hope this doesn’t cost her her job. I want them to reconcile not grow further apart.

Making more room for him between my legs, I massage his shoulders. “Do you trust me?”

“Right now? Not so much.” My hands almost drop from his chest, I swallow my fear and push out the words to convince him. I need him to be in a good mood when we step out.

“You know I love you.” He nods, I push my hand into his boxers to stroke his dick. Eye contact is important but it’s hard to maintain it. “And I want what’s best for you, right?”