Mrs Reluctant Billionaire || Ten

Ed is not picking his calls. My emails are still unanswered. A muscle in my jaw ticks, what’s his problem?

The glass doors slide open on sensing my movements, a proud smile takes over my lips and I nod to the guard’s greeting. The motion sensor is one of many upgrades I made to this place after taking over.

Dina is on a phone call when I pass her desk, she signifies for me to hold on but I look right past her and continue to the hidden private elevator that will take me to my office floor. I imagine Dina scowling at my retreating figure but I don’t care. I want to preserve the peaceful feeling from visiting Ava a little while longer and Dina will burst that bubble as soon as she opens her mouth. Her missed calls require explanations I am not ready to listen to, I am taking Ava’s advice—trying to stay positive today.

I step into the elevator while browsing through my call history. My eyes zero in on the fifth name.

Jei Clementine.

Spoilt son of a billionaire father. Filthy rich and pampered. Unlike him, I am not spoilt. I take calculated risks, make informed decisions. Rumours have it that his father threatened to disown him if he continued philandering. Jei is desperate, he needs a reliable company to invest in. To show his father he is making good use of his inheritance asides from spending it on strippers and unreasonable purchases.

He needs a company. I need his money to expand Project El. Project El, named after my beautiful wife for being the first person to endorse me after I mentioned self-driving, electric cars. We need more investors to extend our reach in other states and Jei’s money will go a long way in achieving that.

The metallic door slides open once I am at my floor, I step into my office and part the curtains, bathing my desk in a natural glow. Slouching in my seat, I dial Jei’s number for the third time since leaving Ava’s office and it rings uninterruptedly. My fingers press to my temple, my laptop screen comes alive after a few taps. The page on Jei is still open, his contact is the same as that on my phone, I redial his number once. My stomach grumbles, my fingers run in circles around my temples, I need to eat. I need a break.

A knock on the door has my head raising, I usher the person in and a lady walks in. My back goes ramrod straight, I arch a brow as she continues to the front of my desk with a cup of what should be coffee.

“I brought your coffee, Sir,” she mutters.

The time on my desk reveals some minutes past ten, my coffee always arrives earlier than this but I was late. I purse my lips, I can’t pick a fight with a stranger and I am determined to stay positive throughout today. She plays with her sleeves, her chubby cheeks reddening under my stare. A dimple appears when she offers me a nervous smile, I look away when I am certain I have made her uncomfortable enough.

“Thanks.” I take a whiff of the coffee and set the cup aside. I need real food, something more solid than the treats the girls have been forcing me to make. If I have to look at flour again, I will throw up. They won’t try any cooking stunts with Elna, it’s partly why I allow them to get away with it. Linking my fingers, I relax into my swivel chair which rotates gently. “Who are you? Why are you bringing my coffee?”

It’s the assistant’s job to have my morning coffee ready but thanks to my awesomeness, I have none. A knock stops her from replying, Dina walks in with an apologetic smile. She has a lot of answering to do.

“Good day, Sir.” I ignore her greetings, she clears her throat and the new girl takes a step back. Wise decision. “I called you a few times, Sir.” Yes, she did, too many times. “Did you receive the messages?”

Text messages that are sitting unread on my phone. A sarcastic reply hangs on the tip of my lips, I stop myself from voicing it out and breathe slowly to calm myself. Staying positive is hard, I won’t last long.

“Who’s she?”

“Tamara,” my receptionist whispers.

From the files stacked on my desk in a neat pile, I retrieve a list of potential investors. There are twenty on the list but Jei is our best bet. I want to hear good news about him, not Tamara without a last name.

Placing the list on top of the pile, I say, “Tamara?”

“Tamara Anderson. She’s a temp.” I push my chair back to release a hoarse laugh while Dina wipes the invisible sweat off her brows. I was only gone a few hours and she already hired a temp. “I emailed you.” Her eyes dart to the girl behind, she leans forward with her fingers touching the table like she wants to tell me a secret, I urge her to get on with it. In a whisper, she says, “She will be replacing Ed.” My head dips in a mock bow, she catches onto it, panic crosses her face. “You said you needed another assistant.”

The tremors in Dina's voice stop me from lashing out at her, she straightens up and the contrite smile reappears. I need Ed back, he is the reason I know about Jei. He fixed the damn appointment for today. I groan. The new girl shifts her feet like she can’t decide the best standing position for herself and I shake my head. If she intends to be a part of this establishment, she will need to grow some balls. Plenty of it.

“I don’t need a temp, I need Ed.” Dina might be my favourite staff but she doesn’t need to know that. Stabbing the table with my finger, I say, “Get Ed back in the office by the end of this month.” The thick blue file on the table catches my attention, I open it. It belongs to Tamara. I skim through it, pinching the bridge of my nose. She has no job experience. “You,” I say, she points to herself. “Yes, you. You’re fired.”

A collective gasp reverberates in the office, Tamara is as shocked as Dina and she whispers, “Fired?”

“Yes. You are relieved of your duties.” I shove her file under my briefcase. My hairs stand on edge, I raise my head to see the temp gaping at me. Five seconds pass without her blinking, I look to Dina for help in dismissing her employee but she decides the walls are more interesting. “You will still get the bonus.”

Both of us are quiet as Tamara exits my office, I am surprised she doesn’t trip on her way out with the amount of nervousness rolling off her. Dina remains mute seconds after Tamara leaves, I dial Jei again and it goes straight to voicemail. I understand the appointment should have happened by nine but he should at least pick. A text from him enters my phone, I scowl at the content.

Can’t talk nowbusyTtyl.

Prick.

“Am I fired too?” Dina whispers as I resume typing on my laptop without a glance her way.

Beads of sweat coat her forehead, I turn on the air conditioner and she wraps her arms around herself. Danielle was my first staff, I chose her over a Latino. Medina was the second, I don’t regret picking her.

“You will be the next time you try to hire someone on my behalf.” Her chest deflates with relief, she plays with the button of her sleeve and I send her a small smile to ease her guilt. “Is that all, Medina?”

“I was only trying to help,” she mutters without looking up. “And Tamara needed a job.”

“Leave it to the HR, they are paid for that.” Her head jerks so much I fear it will fall off. Remorse hits me, she has been a good staff, I can forgive this. “Tamara will still get the temp bonus so you have helped her.” Dina’s smile is relieving, I chuckle lightly. Maybe I am not such an asshole. “Any update on Jei?”

Dina clears her throat, face stern. “Yes. He was here.” My insides churn with dread at her wry smile, I wait for the bad news. “He left as soon as he found out you were unavailable. I can put in a call for you.”

“No, I will do that myself.” Headache starts brewing, I point to the door. “Thank you, you can go now.”

* * *
A/N: Please find the rest of the story on Inkitt under the same name.