Fifteen

“Okay,” I say. “A sip for a sip, how’s that?”

Brandon’s index finger circles the top of his mug, he arches a brow and my lips widen into a charming smile which I hope will make him say yes. He doesn’t. Instead, he continues staring at me and I am forced to place a hand over his, bringing his attention back to the flowered cup. A corner of his lips lift but the smile doesn’t reach his eyes and my hand finds his knee under the table to squeeze it. He’s making a big deal out of it.

His Adam apple bobs, his tongue comes out to wet his lip and I laugh when his hair falls into his eyes when he tries to shake his head in response to my suggestion. Anyone watching us right now will think he is preparing for an arduous task when all I have asked him to do is take a sip of my whipped coffee. I nod, urging him with my eyes to man up and do it, take a sip. It’s still coffee but with a lot of sugar, the good stuff.

“One sip, Brandon,” I say and squeeze his knee again. “Don’t be a quitter, just take a sip.”

The clenching of his jaw would have scared me days ago but now, it only encourages me to pull on his beards and chuckle. Someone laughs from across the diner and I withdraw my hand from his face. My eyes lower to my thighs, a shy smile flits to my lips, I forgot we were still in public and the thought makes me recoil. Shy isn’t a word that’s usually associated with me but of recent, that’s all I have been. Shy. Horny. Desperate and wild.

Brandon wraps his hand around my wrist to say, “I can’t be a quitter if I never started.” He brings my fingers back to his beards, I play with them for a moment before pulling away due to the intensity of the stares from people around us. “El, stop doing that.”

Casting a glance around the diner, I see no one paying special attention to us, most of the customers are in groups, having a quiet conversation without care for Brandon and I. My shoulder sags, my imagination must be playing tricks on me. I tap the cup and stamp a foot into the ground, I want him to have a taste of my creamy goodness now.

Seconds roll by, Brandon has not made any move yet, I nod and reach for his cup of coffee, scrunching my face when the dark liquid hits my tongue. The bitter, slapping taste that instantly floods my senses almost has me throwing up and I cringe, what is this? His coffee tastes like sadness with a sprinkle of guilt to spice it up and I understand why he can’t let go of his past. Taking this bitterness as much as Brandon does is enough to make anyone depressed or incapable of feeling any emotion related to happiness.

“El, it’s not as bad as you are making it look,” Brandon comments. “Swallow it.”

His tone reminds me of my first and last attempt at a blowjob, I nod and swallow. The coffee travel down my throat, my eyes close and I smack my lips as if it will rid me of the bitter taste. Brandon laughs beside me, I ignore him until I have taken a bite of the cake-like thing and a sip of my whipped coffee. I moan in delight and Brandon’s fingernails dig into my knees, I laugh, this is the only acceptable coffee and I tell him that.

“That thing you took doesn’t count as coffee,” Brandon murmurs and I reply with an eye roll. “Real coffee lovers know that the only way to take it is black and plain.”

“Your turn,” I start and rub my hands together. “Remember, a sip for a sip.”

“I never agreed to that deal,” he starts and my jaw drops. I blink twice to be sure those words are coming from him and his moving lips confirm what I already know. “You made a suggestion and you went ahead without getting verbal confirmation from me.” I scoff, surprised he is coming at me with this technical bullshit. “I don’t want a sip.”

A strange feeling claws its way to my chest, I scoff again and shake my head. All of these to get away from taking a sip after I already went ahead with the plan. “Quitter.”