Fourteen

The elevator slides open, Brandon and I step out with our hands interlaced. I stifle a giggle when he clamps down on my wrist to stop me from withdrawing my hand and one of my legs shoots out to show him the lace of my sneaker that has come undone.

Brandon crouches to tie the shoelace and my skin flushes when some heads turn in our direction. Their eyes bore into me until he stands to block my view of them and I look at everything but at him. With his arm around my waist, he guides me to the counter where the receptionist sits behind with a sweet smile directed at only Brandon.

For some reason, her flirtatious smile doesn’t bother me neither does her ignoring me, I know he is only affected by my touch and looks. We have spent the last two days exploring each other bodies, welcoming me properly into the sex world. My teeth sink into my lip as memories replay itself all over again and I feel myself getting hot.

Brandon knows how to treat a woman in and out of the bedroom. Hot sex followed by breakfast in bed, warm bath and evening massages. I don’t believe he has a mean streak in his hot, sexy body. His attitude is only a front to scare people, an excuse to keep wallowing in a self-imposed penance for his actions but he doesn’t scare me with his words or confessions. I’m here to stay. Besides, if he so badly wanted to stay alone, he shouldn’t have married me, Pa must have told him how much I want a family of my own.

We have not had any deep discussion since the talk about Eunice but I want to know more. Know what happened with his brother, his family. But it can wait, I don’t want to ruin our evening walk with dreary thoughts. It is the first time I’m coming out since we lodged here and Brandon promised to give me a tour tomorrow, we get along fine now.

I have a strong suspicion that he plans to keep me in throughout the two weeks of our honeymoon, away from the eyes of other men. He didn’t let me answer the door when our breakfast came up and the scowl that took over his lips when I liked a male model picture on Instagram is one I can never forget. He is headstrong, bossy, caring but still annoying. I more than like him, I don’t know if I love him. We have only started getting along but his presence makes me feel certain types of way, unfamiliar but pleasant.

“El,” Brandon calls out to me and I blink.

His finger lingers on my nose after bopping the tip and I smile, I zoned out again. I place a kiss on his lips, he chuckles and gestures in the direction of the pretty receptionist.

“Hi,” I say to her, then look at Brandon who watched the short exchange with a smile.

We are supposed to be outside, on the road, not here with her doing God knows what. I don’t like her. Brandon places my hand on top of his, with his eyes cast in her direction, he says, “Adrienne, meet Elna... Elna Stark.”

A smile works its way to my lips when her eyes widen in recognition of my new last name and her head bobs of its accord. Something akin to respect, maybe jealousy or hate creeps into her eyes and she flashes me an apologetic smile. I am tempted to return her smile with a sneer but it will make me as bad as she is so I nod instead.

Adrienne didn’t say one word to me when we first came in and I’m almost certain that if Brandon didn’t introduce me to her, she will continue treating me the same way, with disregard. I can’t help but think of how many people she might have turned away from the hotel with her snobby attitude. With her looks, she should be working as a model.

Brandon offers me his arm and sends Adrienne a pointed look. “You will accord Elna the same respect as me, is that clear?” She nods. To me, he says, “Dear wife, shall we?”

As soon as we step out of the building, I burst out laughing. This playful side of him has been around since we have been cooped inside, I love it. The look of horror, remorse on Adrienne’s face when he put her in her place is an image I will carry with me forever. There’s a slight stirring in the pit of my belly, I didn’t think he would introduce me to her because I mentioned it only once but it makes me feel warm all over and I squeeze his hand in my grip.