Twenty-seven

“What is it?” I ask Brandon who is on the seat across me, watching me as if his life depends on my next movements. My eyes don’t leave the screen of my laptop resting atop the desk, I scowl without looking in his direction. “Brandon?”

The email with the invitation for my zoom meeting with other student body leaders stares back at me, the time on the lower part of my screen shows I have a few minutes until ten when we will commence but I don’t want to spend another second talking to him. I am not the one who broke a promise to their spouse. He did this to himself.

Sunlight seeps in through the long, sliding windows, casting a shadow on the table. I take a bite from the leftover slices of pizza on the table, pizza he brought home last night but I couldn’t eat because I was fast asleep. Asleep and hungry because I refused to prepare dinner, thinking we would go on our first date at a fancy, outdoor restaurant.

“You haven’t given me my morning kiss,” he whispers with his elbows propped on the oaken table. His nipples peep from his tank top, I frown when his lips pucker. “My kiss.”

Different books lay across the library floor, a mess I made when searching for a text in the business section, my eyes scan the content on the table and I chuckle. We are doing everything against the rules: eating, drinking and talking. I take a sip from the bottle of pop, the flavour tickles my taste buds, I swallow and tap on my screen. I had hoped to get away from him, didn’t think he would find me here since he was out cold.

The mini gown I planned to wear still sits in the wardrobe, I had imagined pairing it with my favourite stilettos, letting my hair down for his sake and what did I get in return? An unexplained absence. I stayed up until twelve, he didn’t call, neither did he reply any of my later texts or return the missed calls. I am not letting it slide.

“El.”

“You came late and you didn’t call,” I spare him a glance, “I’m not happy with you.”

His lips part open and close like he wants to defend himself but changed his mind. He pouts, rises from his seat to come stand behind me. My chest deflates as he begins to massage my shoulders, a sigh escapes my lips as the knots in my joints begin to loosen.

“Forgive me?” My head tilts to the side, even if he doesn’t ask, I will but he doesn’t have to know that yet. He has to earn my forgiveness. “I’ll make it up to you today.”

Uncertainty rears its head, those were also his words yesterday and his promise went up in flames once he left the house. I can’t afford to have my hopes dashed again, nothing goes right whenever he makes a promise. Besides, I have a virtual meeting to attend.

“How?”

His hands stop their ministrations, I groan, he chuckles and resumes the massage. “Have you been to a club?”

The question causes me to laugh, left to me, I wouldn’t have been anywhere but thanks to Clarissa, I have been to a club, a strip club infact. But I don’t mention that to him.

“Yes.”

“I want to take you to mine.” He must have sensed the tensing of my muscles because he adds, “Yeah, I own one.”

His fingers lower to the swell of my breasts, I forget what I am about to ask. When he squeezes one of my mounds, my thoughts assault me and I say, “When are we going?”

One of my buttons comes undone under Brandon’s expert fingers, I shake my head, try to stand but he pushes me back down to continue his massage and my head falls back.

“No,” I whisper in protest as his hand snakes inside my button-up shirt to caress my breasts. Swatting his hand, I manage to free myself from his seductive fingers and stand but he’s quick to spin me around to face him. I scowl and waggle a finger at him. “Stop.”