Chapter 16 - Twisting plots and jello shots

TW// drinking

My anxiety only grew as we approached the front door of his house. I took a deep breath before opening it. 

The smell of alcohol and cheap body spray filled my nostrils as I stepped inside the crowded house. There must have been 50 or so people. The house was littered with people dancing, drinking and having makeout sessions. The disco lights flashed aggressively and the music blared loudly out of the speakers.

I looked over at Niki, who gave me a reassuring smile before grabbing my hand and leading me to the kitchen area to get a drink. I looked at the counter to see a variety of alcohol and energy drinks scattered around with sacks of the red cups dotted around. Niki handed me an opened bottle.

"Try this," she said. I brought the bottle up to my lips and took a sip. I immediately regretted it. The taste was so bitter, it made me gag. I spat it back out. Niki laughed.

"First time drinking?" she asked, giggling. 

"Yeah," I admitted sheepishly. She grinned and grabbed a blue can from a cooler. She read the label before handing it to me.

"This is a little sweeter, so be careful on how much you drink," she warned. I took and sip and was pleasantly surprised at the taste. I reached for a cup to pour it in but Niki swatted my hand away.

"Keep it in the can," she said sternly "Someone could drug it if you use a cup," I nodded and made a mental note to keep an eye on my drink. I scanned the room, my eyes searching for a certain brown-haired boy. I eventually spotted him talking to Tommy. I smiled at the very sight of him. He was wearing jeans and his signature oversized yellow hoodie. I could feel the blush creep onto my face when he noticed me. He grinned widely and made his way through the crowds of people to get to me. 

"Wow, you look incredible," he said, his jaw practically to the floor. I grinned as that was just the reaction I was looking for. 

"Thanks, you look great too!" I chirped. The song that was playing ended and a new one came on. I saw Tubbo's eyes light up.

"This is my favourite song you have to dance with me!" he pleaded. I was a little unsure given I wasn't the best dancer but he grabbed my arm and dragged me to the middle of the "dance floor". He grabbed my hands and spun me around. I giggled and started to relax a bit, swaying my hips to the music. 

I've got to admit, Tubbo was a pretty good dancer. His movements always in time with the music as he spun me around him. I wasn't completely in time but he didn't seem to care. On the last beat of the song, he pulled me sharply towards him and placed his hands on my waist. I normally would have felt uncomfortable with anyone touching my waist but with him it was different. I wrapped my arms around his neck and stared into his eyes. He smiled at me and blushed. It was like an inescapable force that was pushing us together. My mind was racing. Was he gonna kiss me? I could see his eyes start to close as he leaned in. I did the same and our lips must have been millimetres apart before Tommy barged in.

"Hey, guys! Oh shit did I interrupt?" he said, realising what he interrupted. We both immediately pulled away and looked at him. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we didn't kiss. Tubbo sighed.

"No, what's up?" he asked, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Oh well a bunch of us are gonna play truth or dare so I just wanted to invite you," he replied, looking slightly guilty for interrupting. Tubbo looked at me and I shrugged.

"Um sure," he replied. It always made me feel butterflies when we communicated without talking. It made me feel safe somehow. Like he would always know if something was wrong or made me uncomfortable.