(I)

Republic City was an interesting place to live in.

My grandfather, Avatar Aang, and Fire Lord Zuko founded it to create a place where people of every nation could live together in harmony. It was founded on the idea and hope that someday, the people of the world would be finally able to celebrate their differences and rejoice together. However, my life had been completely opposite from that. Mostly thanks to the "no going to the mainland rule" Master Tenzin had imposed onto every single airbender on Air Temple Island.

That included me, obviously.

"Zaya! Are you ready yet?" Pema asked, looking at me with her familiarly tired eyes.

I nodded. "Yes, Aunt Pema! I'm ready."

"It's a long way to the South Pole," Ikki, my little cousin, told me with a smile.

Uncle Tenzin simply sighed heavily. "I just hope we get there sooner than I fear."

We had to go to the South Pole because, apparently, the Order of the White Lotus had some news involving the new Avatar, Avatar Korra. I had never met her before, only Tenzin had. But from what I'd heard, she was a very strong woman, capable of mastering the elements on record time, by my age. Honestly, I was surprised when Uncle Tenzin asked me to come with them, but at the same time, I was excited to finally be able to get to the snowy South Pole and finally meet Avatar Korra.

The trip was long, but it certainly felt longer with Ikki's hyperactive personality. She didn't shut up a single second throughout the entire trip, I kid you not. I don't understand how someone so small can have that much energy.

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? It looks like we're there. I know that this is very familiar!" Ikki exclaimed excitedly, as Uncle Tenzin managed to land the bison somehow without losing his grip. "Are we here yet? Are we here yet? Are we here yet? Oh, please tell me we're here."

"Yes, Ikki. As I've been telling you for the last fifteen minutes, we are finally here," Uncle Tenzin said, as we all got down from the saddle and stepped onto the snow.

Honestly, this sounds dumb, but I was really excited about seeing the snow. I'd never been outside of Air Temple Island before, even though my grandmother, Master Katara, lives in the South Pole. This was the very first time I was seeing someplace outside Air Temple Island, and it was so amazing.

"Look, Ikki! Snow!" I told her excitedly.

"It's just ice, Zaya," Jinora observed with a frown. She's always been a little too mature for her age.

"Well, yeah, but it's soft ice!"

"It's amazing! It's cold, and white and cold, wait, I already said that—" Ikki began, but stopped when an elderly woman in a blue gown approached us with a soft smile.

Uncle Tenzin sighed with relief. "Hello, Mother. I can't tell you how happy I am to see you. Please help me."

The woman helped him get Meelo off his shoulders, literally, with a laugh. Meelo, clearly suspicious, started struggling against her hold.

"Unhand me, strange woman!"

"That's your grandmother, Meelo," Tenzin told him, making me gasp.

"You're our Gran Gran?"

The woman nodded. "It's so great to see all of you."

"Gran Gran, I've been reading all about your old adventures. I've been dying to ask you, what happened to Zuko's mom?" Jinora asked curiously.

"Well, Jinora, it's an incredible tale—"

"Gran Gran, you look old. How old are you?" Ikki interrupted in her usually hyperactive manner. "And why is it so cold in the South Pole? Can we make a campfire and then all huddle around it and tell scary stories and make snowmen? And then can you make the snowman move with waterbending and chase us? Wouldn't that be fun? Huh? Wouldn't it?"