(VII)

"I really hope you aren't using what I taught you just to play fetch with Naga," I said, raising an eyebrow at Korra as she airbent a frisbee for the polar bear dog of hers to go catch in the far distance.

"Oh, come on. You were the one who taught me how to do an airscooter. You can't tell me that isn't just for fun."

"I'll have you know that airscooting is an ancient sport in airbending tradition."

"I thought Avatar Aang invented it?" She called me out, raising her eyebrows and smirking.

I cleared my throat. "Aren't we supposed to be in hiding?!"

"Yes. While you're playing fetch, four of the most dangerous criminals are hunting you down. We should get moving," Chief Beifong agreed, making me glad that she unknowingly saved me from embarrassing myself even further.

"Relax, we just got here. Besides, no one knows where I am except us," Korra told her with a smile. Naga returned with the frisbee and offered it to Chief Beifong excitedly. "I think she wants you to throw it for her."

"I'll pass, thanks."

"We just got a call from the radio about another airbender," Asami announced excitedly.

"Finally! Where are they?" Korra asked.

"A city called Zaofu, the home of the Metal Clan," Mako replied.

I frowned, turning to Chief Beifong. "Wait, isn't that where—"

"I don't want you going there. I would rest a lot easier if you were back at Republic City," Chief Beifong interrupted me, before I could ask if that wasn't were her sister lived.

I guess I should explain a bit. Chief Beifong wasn't Toph Beifong's only kid. She had two daughters, and the other one lived in Zaofu. I only met her once before, during my mother's funeral. She and Lin were both my mother's close friends. I didn't know what had happened between them, but I did know they didn't get along. And for whatever reason, she didn't want Korra or my friends to know about this.

"Sorry, if there's an airbender in Zaofu, then that's where we are going next," Korra declared firmly.

When they said Zaofu was the metalbending city, they weren't kidding. From the air, we could see every building gleaming under the sun, reflecting its light back to the sky. If I were a metalbender, I'm sure this would feel like metalbending heaven. That's why it was so weird that Chief Beifong wasn't too happy to be here.

"Wow! Wow! Wow! An entire city made of metal! Wohoho, you should feel right at home, Beifong," Bolin said, sounding excited to be there himself.

Once we managed to land with the help of the local metalbenders, we all darted out of the airship excitedly. Well, all of us except for Chief Beifong.

"Uh... Chief, aren't you coming?"

"What's there to see? It's metal. Big whoop. Just find the airbender and let's get moving. Don't tell anyone I'm here," she insisted. "You know who I'm talking about, Zaya."

I sighed tiredly, nodding. "Fine. But I really think you should reconsider."

***

"Avatar Korra. It is an honor to meet you," a man in a green robe and glasses said. "My name is Aiwei."

"Thanks for having us," Korra said gratefully.

"Is this everyone?"

"Yup. Just us. So, can I meet the new airbender?" Korra asked, getting straight to the point.