(III)

I walked towards Ikki slowly, watching as she spoke to the baby bison.

"Juniper Lightning Bug, paws off the table! This is going to be a civilized breakfast. Daddy always says a blessing before we eat, so... be quiet and listen up! We are thankful for this super yummy food and for being the best-est new friends in the world. But we are most thankful because Meelo and Jinora aren't here, because they stink," Ikki finally realized I was there and she widened her eyes. "Oh! Hi, Zaya. I guess you found me. Do I have to go now?"

I shook my head. "There's no rush, Ikki. Are you going to introduce me to your friends?"

Ikki seemed happy with my response and she started presenting each baby bison. "This here is Blueberry Spicehead. And that's Princess Rainbow, and that's Twinkle Starchild, and that's Juniper Lightning Bug. They're my new brothers and sisters."

"Oh, that sounds really cool. Care if I sit with you guys?"

"Let me ask them," Ikki said, as she whispered to the bison for a moment. "Uh-huh, uh-huh. No, no, Zaya is really nice. They say it's okay."

"So, Ikki, are you staying here with Blueberry Spicehead and the others?"

"Yep."

"Oh, that's too bad. Airscooter races won't be the same without my biggest rival," I told her, enjoying myself as she widened her eyes.

"You mean me?"

"Of course."

She looked thoughtful for a moment, but then she shook her head. "Well, it doesn't matter. Because this is my new family."

"No, I understand. It's really nice in here. There's no fighting, and Twinkle Starchild is adorable," I told Ikki, while scratching one of the baby bisons' heads. "But Ikki, we're really going to miss you. Especially your parents."

"Mommy and Daddy can come visit," Ikki said. "And also Aunt Kya and Uncle Bumi. I bet they'd like it too."

"That is, if they can stop fighting with Uncle Tenzin for a minute," I replied with a sigh. "But I think Jinora and Meelo would like it here, too. Don't you?"

"No way. They're mean. And they always leave me out of things."

"What about Rohan?"

"No. Because of him, everyone else is ignoring me," Ikki said, looking away sadly.

"Being a part of a family is hard, isn't it?" I asked her with a sigh. "But can I tell you a story?"

"Yeah!"

"Well... When I was about your age, I was the only kid in the family. Everyone's attention was always on me. I was really happy because I was the one everyone cared for. But then, Aunt Pema got pregnant with Jinora, and things changed. I was no longer the main focus. There was a new baby that everyone looked after. And then you came, Ikki, and later Meelo."

"Did you feel left out?"

"For a little while. But, as soon as I realized that I wasn't being replaced or forgotten, things were better. I suddenly knew that I had a new responsibility; to love and protect you guys like everyone else had done for me before. And now, I couldn't imagine my life without the four of you in it. I never had any brothers or sisters, but I really consider you mine. And that's why I hate it when I see you fighting with each other, the same for Uncle Tenzin, Aunt Kya and my dad."

Ikki looked at me thoughtfully. "I never thought about that."

"Siblings can be annoying, but they're your family, Ikki," I said, just as the baby bison grunted and took off from the ground, joining two bigger bison flying above us, presumably, their parents.