(II)

"Korra!" Meelo and Ikki said, cheerfully running towards the Avatar as soon as they saw her on the dock.

By the look on her and Uncle Tenzin's face, I knew that whatever had happened in the city, it probably wasn't good. Aunt Pema didn't exactly tell me what happened, but when she mentioned that it had been Chief Beifong who had summoned him, I kind of got the gist.

"Avatar Korra. What are you doing in Republic City?" I asked her, as she accepted the friendly hugs of the children.

"Are you coming to live with us on the island?" Ikki asked excitedly.

Korra shook her head. "No. I'm sorry, Ikki. I have to go home now."

"You do?" I asked, sounding a lot more disappointed than I intended.

Korra gave me a smile, but her eyes were still saddened. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I already got myself into enough trouble."

As she started to walk away from us and towards the agents of the White Lotus on the opposite side of the dock, Uncle Tenzin called to her suddenly, completely taking us by surprise.

"Wait. I have done my best to guide Republic City toward the dream my father had for it, but you're right. It has fallen out of balance since he passed. I thought I should put off your training in order to uphold his legacy, but you are his legacy. You may stay and train airbending here with me. Republic City needs its Avatar once again."

"Uncle Tenzin..." I began, smiling.

"YES! THANK YOU! YOU'RE THE BEST!" Korra celebrated, as the children joined her cheerfully.

"YAYYYY!"

"What made you change your mind?" I asked him curiously.

"Well... It's time for a change, don't you think?" he replied. "I just hope I'm not making a huge mistake."

Soon after that, we give Korra a short tour of the island and explain our usual schedule to her. She didn't really seem too eager about following Uncle Tenzin's strict timing and schedules, but she did seem to have learned her way around well enough.

I finally showed her to what would be her room for the near future, a room right next to mine.

"So... I hope you like it," I said awkwardly, once again, feeling a little too much pressure about having someone's full attention on me. "If you need anything, I'm right next door."

"Thanks."

"Well, good night, Avatar Korra."

"Hey, Zaya?" Avatar Korra said with a gentle smile. "Just call me Korra, alright? No need to be so formal."

I felt my cheeks blushing and I nodded. "Sure. Sorry."

***

The first thing I did in the morning everyday was feed the bison. It was a hard job, given how each of them ate quite a lot of food, but it was also a very important one, because it created a bond of trust and cooperation between us and them. The others usually ate breakfast at this time, but honestly, I would rather have my friends eat before I do.

Besides, I wasn't really good at making friends. In case you haven't noticed, I have an extremely shy personality. I can talk to my immediate family with no problem whatsoever, but not too many other people.

My mother, however, was nothing like that. She could light up a room with a simple "hello", and she got along with everyone she met with ease. I wished I could have her way with people.