(XI)

"Avatar Korra, what do you think you are doing?" Tarrlok asked, as soon as he and the rest of the police force arrived at the scene. The place was already swerving with reporters.

"Oh, hey Tarrlok. Nice of you to show up finally. Here, we captured the escaped convicts for you," Korra said smugly.

"What you did was tear up the city and impede the real authorities in their pursuit of these criminals."

"Hmm, that's funny. I didn't see your little task force or the cops the whole time. If it wasn't for Team Avatar, they would've gotten away," Korra retorted.

"You should be thanking us, councilman. We got them all wrapped up and ready to go for you," I added with a grin, enjoying his visible anger.

"This is your last warning. Stay out of my way!" He yelled, stomping away like a child.

I couldn't wait to see Uncle Tenzin's reaction to this. I knew he'd be proud of us. We did a good job, and anyone could see that, right?

***

The next night started pretty smoothly. Team Avatar was doing great, actually. Maybe knowing we were out there had scared the Equalists away, because the city had been pretty calm so far.

Or maybe I just spoke too soon. "All available units, please respond to the fifty six hundred block of Dragon Flats borough. Equalists have taken to the streets, consider them armed and dangerous. Proceed with caution."

"I call front!" Bolin immediately said.

"After you," Mako said, opening the door for Korra.

Korra giggled, playing along. "What a gentleman, thanks!"

I couldn't really tell if they were just fooling around or not, but it didn't seem to matter to Asami, who narrowed her eyes at them through the rearview mirror. Oh, boy, was this going to be a bumpy ride.

When we arrived at Dragon Flats, the lights were completely out. I could barely make out the silhouette of some police airships circling the area above us.

"Why is the power out?" Korra asked out loud.

However, as we got closer, we spotted a crowd of people protesting behind what appeared to be a police blockade. I frowned. "What the heck is going on here?"

"These people aren't armed or dangerous," Asami observed.

"Sure doesn't look that way," Korra agreed.

"All nonbenders, return to your homes immediately," Saikhan, the new Chief of Police that had replaced Chief Beifong, said over a microphone.

"Yeah, as soon as you turn our power back on," one protester said.

"Disperse, or you will all be arrested," Saikhan threatened.

"You benders can't treat us this way!" another protester said, clutching a small child in her arms.

"Mummy, look! It's the Avatar!" the little kid said, pointing to Korra.

"Please, help us! You're our Avatar, too!"

"Everyone, please stay calm. I'm going to put a stop to this. Tarrlok, you need to turn the power back on and leave these people alone," Korra ordered.

"Avatar Korra, you and your playmates have no business here," Tarrlok was there, too. This didn't look good.

"We're not going anywhere. You don't have the right to treat these innocent people like criminals," Korra stated firmly.

"This is an Equalist rally. There is nothing innocent about it," Tarrlok insisted.