(IV)

"What's the big idea with making me train this early in the morning? The morning is evil," Korra complained, letting out a yawn.

We had to come early into the city. Korra wasn't so excited about that, but honestly, I was used to it at this point. I always woke up at sunrise so that I would have enough time to complete all my chores at the island, anyways. Babysitting the Avatar was just a new task on the never-ending list.

"We're the rookies, so we get the worst time slot in the gym," Bolin quickly explained.

"And you're the rookiest of us all. We gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive in the tournament," Mako said with visible annoyance. "Deal with it."

"You deal with it!"

And once again, they were bickering. The first few times I might have been a little worried, but now, it just seems like a part of life for these two. Honestly, it does get very annoying at times.

"There are my little hard-working street urchins. It's an honor to finally meet you, Avatar," a man wearing a hat said, walking towards us into the gym. "Master Zaya. What a treat!"

"Uh... Do we know you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Where are my manners? I am Butakha. I run this whole pro-bending shebang. Here's your winnings from the last match," Butakha they reached into his pockets and retrieved a stack of cash, handing over to Mako. However, as Mako went to reach for it, he pulled it back. "Ah, not so fast. First, you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym and equipment rentals from last month, rent on your apartment, and a personal loan for groceries."

In a matter of seconds, Butakha had effectively retrieved all of the money from Mako.

"Oh, and one more small item of business: The Fire Ferrets need to ante up thirty thousand yuans for the championship pot."

"Thirty thousand yuans?!" Bolin exclaimed, with a gasp.

"Sorry, kids. You got until the end of the week to come up with the dough, or else, you're out of the tournament."

He then turned around and left without another word. Bolin turned to Korra with a sigh.

"You wouldn't happen to have a secret Avatar bank account overflowing with gold, would you?"

"I got nothing. I've never really needed money," Korra admitted, before turning to the floor and smiling softly. "I've always had people taking care of me."

"What about you, Zaya?" Bolin turned to me next, but I shook my head.

"Nothing, sorry. I've barely even stepped foot out of Air Temple Island."

"Then I wouldn't say you have nothing," Mako retorted to the both us bitterly.

"That's not what we meant—" Korra began, but Bolin cut her off.

"No, it's all right. It's just, ever since we lost our parents, we've been on our own."

I could somehow understand his pain. I lost my mother, too, when I was younger. I barely remember her. And even though I still have my dad, Uncle Tenzin, Aunt Pema, the kids, Gran Gran and even Aunt Kya... Sometimes it still feels like it isn't enough.

"Losing someone you love can leave a hole inside of you that no money or time can fill. I'm so sorry for your loss," I told him, earning a surprised glance from both brothers.

"What do you know about loss? You've been treated like a princess your entire life. You're one of the few airbenders left and also the granddaughter of the previous Avatar," Mako snapped bitterly.