(X)

"The borders are secure and troops are guarding the rail lines into the city. So what have you two geniuses come up with to fend off Kuvira?" President Raiko asked, addressing Asami and Varrick directly.

"It's a flying mecha suit!" Varrick immediately said, as Asami unrolled the schematics for some kind of machine. "Asami got the idea from watching dragonfly-hummingbirds. You can take off straight up, fly in any direction—"

"Where does the Spirit ray come out?" Raiko interrupted him.

"It doesn't have a Spirit ray. I'm telling you what I told Kuvira: That technology should not be used!" Varrick declared firmly. I was honestly impressed by his strong resolve. This man had truly come a long way from the greedy businessman he once was.

"It's already being used by Kuvira! I need Spirit vine weapons and I need them now!"

"No. It was Kuvira's harvesting of the vines in the swamp that caused the Republic City vines to go crazy and grab all those people," Korra backed Varrick up firmly.

"You're supposed to be the bridge between the two worlds. Why can't you harvest the vines?"

"I won't do that. But maybe since the Spirits love Republic City so much, I can convince them to help us defend it somehow," Korra offered. Raiko seemed satisfied enough with the suggestion and nodded without further comment.

"Okay, maybe while the weapon geniuses and the Spirit bridge are getting ready for battle, we should be evacuating the ordinary citizens so that if Kuvira attacks, they won't be hurt," Wu suggested.

"That's... actually a good idea. Prince Wu, you work with the police to coordinate getting people out of the city. Now everyone get to it. I want daily updates," Raiko instructed, as we were all dismissed from the meeting at once.

Once we were outside however, I approached Korra, still thinking about her offer to President Raiko. "Hey, Korra... Do you really think the Spirits will help us fight Kuvira?"

She sighed heavily. "I'm not sure. But it could be our only hope. Kuvira crossed a line the minute she began harvesting the Spirit Vines. Some powers are not suited for anyone to exploit, not even the Avatar."

I knew she was right, but I also had an eerie feeling that this was probably not going to pan out in our favor.

***

I joined Korra into the Spirit Wilds, in hopes to recruit some nice, kind Spirits into our army against the invaders. However, much to my shock, the Spirit Wilds seemed to be pretty empty and deprived of... Well, Spirits. There were none in sight, which was unusual, considering that they usually wandered this place freely everyday.

However, after a while of walking around, I finally caught a glimpse of a Spirit flying over head. I notified Korra immediately. "Korra, up there!"

"I see them! Excuse me, Spirit? Can we talk to..." However, as soon as the Spirit saw us, it vanished into thin air. "And you're gone. Just like all the other Spirits."

"That's really weird. Why would they disappear like that?"

"They're abandoning the city," Korra immediately realized. "I'll have to go to the Spirit World to talk to them."

"Alright. I'll guard your body here," I told her, as she sat down and closed her eyes in a meditating position.

It took a few minutes, but Korra finally came out of her meditation. I looked at her expectantly.