(XV)

Two weeks can seem like such a long time when you're waiting.

Since the attack, Korra had been really struggling to recover. She was still bound to a wheelchair, and I could tell she was losing her spark slowly. If it hadn't been for Asami's constant optimism, I'm not sure we would have been able to even get her out of bed in the mornings.

The Avatar may be going through some tough times, but the world was facing some of the most unpredictable times we have ever faced. The Earth Kingdom was in complete disarray ever since the assassination of its Queen, and we still didn't know how many other Red Lotus members were out there. Things were getting pretty tense to say the least.

But today was a special day for the Air Nation. And... For my family. Today my little cousin, the little girl I'd watch grow up, would finally become the next Airbending Master in her own right.

"Jinora, come forward. Today, we welcome the second airbending master in a generation. And I couldn't be more proud of my daughter. When the existence of our people was threatened, when the Avatar's life hung in the balance, Jinora never gave up hope. Thanks to her leadership, I see a very bright future for the Air Nation. Of course, there would be no Air Nation without Avatar Korra: she opened the portals and somehow the world began anew for us. And she was even willing to lay down her own life in order to protect ours. There's no way we can ever repay her for all she's done. But we can follow her example of service and sacrifice. So while she recuperates, the Air Nation will reclaim its nomadic roots and roam the earth. But unlike our ancestors, we will serve people of all nations, working wherever there is corruption and discord to restore balance and peace. Avatar Korra, I vow that we will do everything in our power to follow in your footsteps and bring harmony to the world. Now, let us anoint the master who will help lead us in our new path."

The ceremony was amazing. I was so proud of her, and I couldn't help but think about how much she reminded me of Avatar Aang with her tattoos like that.

***

After the ceremony, I was approached by Bumi, who looked slightly nervous about talking to me. We hadn't really had the chance to discuss everything that had happened just yet, in between Jinora's ceremony and his recovery, but I knew this moment was coming.

"So... Tenzin told me about what you learned in Zaofu. Sweetheart, I am so sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"I understand. Mom asked you to keep the secret until I was ready," I nodded with a sigh.

"But I want you to know that this changes nothing between you and me. You are, have always been and always will be my little girl, understood?"

"I know that, Dad. And even though it kind of felt like I was an outsider to everything this year... I think I finally figured out my place. You are my father, and for now, that's all I need to know. Tenzin, Kya, Pema, the kids... You're all my family, regardless of what blood runs through my veins."

He smiled warmly and cupped my face gently. "You speak like a true grandchild of Aang, Zaya."

"It doesn't matter if he's my real grandfather or not. I promise to help protect his legacy—Korra's legacy—with everything I have."

"I am so proud of you."

"Me too. I know you'll become a master in no time," I nodded, as he kissed my forehead and chuckled.

"You just wait and see! Oh boy, Tenzin won't be able to get enough of me until I get my tattoos!"

I laughed and shook my head. "Air Temple Island isn't ready for this."

"Uh... Sir? Excuse me, but... May I speak to Zaya for a moment?"

My dad simply chuckled and nodded. "Go right ahead. I need to talk to Tenzin about my tattoo ceremony!"

I was about to say that he probably still had a couple of years to think about that, but he left before I could say anything else, definitely on his way to annoy Uncle Tenzin.

"What's up, Mako?"

"I just... I just wanted to make sure everything was okay with you."

"Yeah, sure. Why wouldn't it be?"

"I know I've been a little hard on you lately, especially after everything between me and Korra and how you feel about—"

"Look, there's no need to worry about that. Everything is... Cool."

"So you told her how you feel about her?"

"Uh... No, not exactly. She's leaving for the South Pole soon to get treatment, and I don't want to burden her with something else to worry about for the moment. She needs to rest."

"I guess that makes sense. I'm going back to the Force, too, and I heard Asami and Bolin also have some plans to help Republic City and the Earth Kingdom recover from all this crazy. What about you?"

"Actually... I'm not sure. I think I'll just stick to the island for the a while. Never thought I'd say this after being kept trapped here for so many years, but I kind of miss it."

Mako simply smiled. "Well, I guess we'll be seeing each other around, then."

"Don't worry, Mako, you guys won't be getting rid of me that easily. We're Team Avatar. And Team Avatar's forever, right?"

Three years after that, I would come to regret those very words in more ways than I could even explain.