(I)

Six months can feel like a lifetime.

In just that time, things around Republic City had changed quite a bit. For starters, we no longer had a City Council made up of one person from each nation, but rather a President, who had been elected by the citizens during our very first democratic elections. I know Aunt Pema was glad to have Uncle Tenzin at home full-time, especially to help her take care of baby Rohan.

My father had also decided to surprise us by announcing his retirement from the United Forces, and moving in with us at Air Temple Island. I was really happy to have him here, although it took a little adjusting. I had been living apart from him for years now, so adapting to his rather pompous personality permanently was a little challenging. Especially because he kept treating me like I was still a child.

And then there was the whole thing with Korra and Mako. They had been together for a while now, and they'd been very popular with city gossip. Those two were an entirely different subject on their own. Let's leave it at that.

Speaking of Mako, he was very busy these days. He'd joined the Republic City Police Department, and from what I had heard, he was doing pretty good for himself. Bolin was still pro-bending, and I would go to see his matches frequently. Although, I had to admit, the Fire Ferrets weren't half as good as they used to be, now that Mako and Korra were too busy to join him because of their police and Avatar duties.

I hadn't really seen Asami that much. Not because I didn't want to, but mostly because she'd been off the grid lately. I couldn't really blame her. She was still mourning her father's betrayal. I just hoped we'd see her again, soon.

So, things were really changing in Republic City. But I remained pretty much the same, and I wasn't really sure if that was a good or a bad thing.

But right now, I was a little busy to think about that. Because I had an airscooting race to win and a title to defend.

"Eat my dust, Avatar!" I yelled at Korra as we sprinted through the halls of the temple.

I could hear the kids following close behind. Korra laughed evilly. "Watch out, Zaya! I'm coming for you!"

We took a sharp turn, where I widened my eyes when I saw Aunt Pema and baby Rohan walking by. I tried my best to avoid them, but I knew the kids wouldn't be so delicate. I heard her complain as he groceries flew away all around.

"KIDS!"

"Sorry, Aunt Pema!" I yelled, just as Korra and I were finally head-to-head with one another.

I urged myself to go faster, managing to take the lead, as we approached the finish line. However, Korra gave me smug smile, before her eyes started glowing. I immediately knew she had entered the Avatar State, and she used the extra power to pull ahead of me and cross the finish line before I could.

"The Avatar is the winner!" My dad announced with a chuckle.

"Cheater," I muttered, while Korra looked at me with a smirk. "It doesn't count if you use the Avatar State. That's like racing hundreds of people against one."

"You did what!?" Uncle Tenzin sounded beyond mad to hear this. "The Avatar State is not to be used as a booster rocket! You are toying with a dangerous power that you obviously do not appreciate!"

"It's the Avatar State and I'm the Avatar. Who appreciates it more than me?" Korra asked.

"Clearly you need more training to grasp the depths of your spiritual connections, not to mention that you're still a long way from mastering airbending."