𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 35

𐂂

𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑅𝑇𝑌 𝐹𝐼𝑉𝐸
ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴠᴇ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ ʙᴀᴛᴛʟᴇ

𐂂

That morning, Bjorn had woken her with a pulling of her woven mattress, pushing her straight to the ragged floor of the tent. Not an hour later, he'd disrupted a conversation she'd been having with Lagertha. Merida felt his eyes place on the carved necklace that hung down above her breast as she reached for her bow. Now that she thought of it, ever since he'd given her the gift, he'd bothered her incessantly with his odd remarks and tickling laughs. A smile was hard to force from her face, at most times but even so, she felt herself becoming more and more conflicted.

Fate be damned. She wanted him- that had been quite clear by the kisses she sought on cold evenings when the rest were gathered around large fires. It was undeniable when it was Bjorn that she looked for at most minutes of the day. Once her aversion to the idea of destiny would have ruined that desire, but she commanded it now- if she wanted him, then she could have him.

With her bow in her hand, she started forward, glancing across the vast field as she made her way from the edge of the camp toward him. But before she could step foot into the tall grass, Ragnar interrupted her pathway. He smiled simply, head-turning lightly against his neck. As swiftly as he'd stepped in front of her, Ragnar turned away, walking along the side of the camp, the opposite direction of his son.

When she did not follow, he inclined his head slightly. "Are you going to walk with me or not?"

Merida paused, watching him, but then followed, shortly joining Ragnar's side as he took a turn around the edge of the camp, observing the comings and going's and the stacks of weapons that were being mended beside great tents. He watched with great pride, as any king would look upon such a comforting sight. The true picture of war.

"You've been using your time well while we prepare, I see," he said finally, pulling the piece of straw from between his lips.

She did not know what he had meant, at first, but then his eyes flickered to the bow that was now strapped to her back. "You could say that. The younger ones were good at the archery, even if it was with newly made bows and first-timers."

"You can imagine, archery isn't the most useful thing with an army like ours," Ragnar said humorously.

"No, I understand that. My father fought with swords and axes, but while I was young he wanted me to have distance when fighting."

"I admire your father greatly."

She smiled and was reminded of the fact that Ragnar reminded her so much of the Bear King. "Thank you, Ragnar. He would have liked to hear that."

They walked quietly for a moment before Ragnar found a spot for them to sit in a few metres from the camp beneath the trees. His eyes wandered to the carving that hung from her neck and he smirked.

"Nice necklace."

She clutched it in her hand. "Thank you. Bjorn made it.," she said as if Ragnar was not aware of that very fact. Somehow he always seemed to know these things.

"You and my son spend an awful lot of time together. One must think..."

As he trailed off, Merida looked away. "I don't know what you want me to say."

"Do you love Bjorn?"

Such a strong word had her spiralling, with her throat turning dry and eyes widening. What could she say to such a question? Not even Bjorn had asked her such, but Ragnar had always been one to push it, just as her mother once had too.