CHAPTER SEVEN

Chapter seven

Another week passed quickly, and it was soon time for the second round in the competition: her mother's choice. It was much simpler than the first, in one way, but in another, it took much more skill and care. Elinor had ordered a hunt to take place. It was not the usual kind, with bows and spears with birds as a target.

Merida was sat on her throne, once again- she wasn't allowed to join like the last hunt. Beside her, locked in a cage, a small fox rattled about, baring it's teeth as her brothers got too close. The sly fox was the target of the game, but it came with a catch. The fox must be returned to the royals alive.

Not as many people had shown to watch the task, as the competitors would ride around the forest, not being much in sight, though the lords would join their sons for it. Merida watched as they gathered in from of her mother and father, preparing themselves, again with a lack of weapons. Ragnar had joined Bjorn in preparing their horses, and were quickly ready before the others.

"Now, for the rules." Her mother called out, gaining their attention.

"For this task, you will be hunting in the surrounding forests of the castle. It's simple: this fox, branded with our colours, must be returned alive. The first to do so will win. In fairness, each competitor will bring along one other person for aid." She breathed out, watching as they smiled between themselves, ready.

Elinor motioned for a guard to pick up the caged animal, placing him in front of the gates. She brought her hand out in a wave, and the animal was let into wild, its paws scurrying as fast as possible into the tall bushes. The Queen waited a moment, before nodding her head, and a great horn was blown, signalling for the participants to set off.

"Have you had any more thought on our suitors." Her mother asked, as they watched the empty forest, the contestants quickly disappearing from sight.

"No, mother." She said, though her words just barely masked a sigh.

Her marriage was all the Queen could ever talk to her about. It was all about who she favoured of the four. It was laughable. After all, in the end, Merida wouldn't even have a decision. Her favours would not be mentioned and they would not matter.

"Come on, Merida. I'm just asking." Elinor said, and Merida bit her lip.

"And I'm just saying I haven't." She snapped, her head not moving an inch as she stared at the tree line, her eyebrow quirking in thought. "But I have had a thought in what the final round will be."

Her mother perked up, finally turning to face her. She smacked her husbands arm, gaining his attention and making him turn to gaze at them, confused.

"Really? What is it?" She asked.

"Archery." Merida stayed proudly, her chin in the air as she finally turned to see her parents. "But it has to be long distance. 70 steps."

Elinor evidently fought back the need to roll her eyes as she sighed, her hand making its way to caress her forehead, as if stressed. But Fergus, shrugged his shoulders, nudging her slightly, before his exclamation.

"Why not, Elinor? It's her man she's looking for anyway."

Elinor gave in, but not without compromise. "Alright. Fergus, you see that it happens then ."

Her father nodded in agreement and Merida silently celebrated. Her plan was ready. For the remainder of the second competition, they sat in silence, the bickering of her brothers filling in the space.

Merida could see a shifting deep into the woods. The trees were swaying slightly and she could hear the rustling of a bush. King Fergus stood in preparation.

"What's happening?" She asked, and he turned to face her with a smile.

"Someone's found it."

Two horses came crashing through the forest, breaking through the tree line. The first stopped further forward, its rider dropping down, placing the fox back into its cage.

"The Northman? Again?" Merida asked, and her mother nodded, brows raised.

Bjorn walked back to stand beside his father, who clapped him upon the back. A horn was blown and soon the were joined by the Lords and their sons, all looking annoyed.

"That's two out of three." Merida stated.

"It's all counting on the last one Merida. You're round always has to be the decider. It's law." Elinor explained, and Merida tried to hide her thankful grin. They stood up together as Queen Elinor made her speech with the King.

"We have our second winners! Bjorn Ironside!" Her father shouted, and Bjorn lifted his head expectantly, nodding in thanks.

He looked to Merida, watching as she adverted her gaze, a hint of a smile still left on her lips. She wouldn't meet his eyes, and so he turned back to Fergus, listening to the rest of the speech.

"The third competition has been decided by the princess." He shouted, as he beckoned her to step forward.
Merida did as she was told, though her steps were tiny due to the restrictive dress.

"The third round is archery. Competitors must shoot a target from 70 steps away, three times." She called out the rules.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Ragnar. He was smiling knowingly, before turning to whisper to his son. She raised her brow toward him as she moved to sit back on her throne, but he only nodded in acknowledgment.

𐂂