CHAPTER ONE

Chapter one

Soft mist rolled across the landscape, jagged peaks strutting from the grey blanket proudly, its stone structure sprinkled in a white dusting. From behind it, sunlight managed to soak through the thick, low laying clouds that hovered around the bottom layers like shields of charcoal slates. They floated through the hills of the highlands, their watery haze tickling at the towering trees and twists of the sparkling glen.

Across the base of the mountains, pounding like punching fists against the green grass, strong horse hooves scattered the morning dew, their beads of jewels, that were usually left untouched, soaking into the fresh soil of which blades of emerald protruded from, like soldiers in lines of thousands. Through the long grass and tall trees, a smooth wind danced across the sky. It played with the reins that zipped through its icy tails, drifting above to the women that controlled them.

Merida's angry locks flowed behind her, surrounding her like a lion's mane, the colour of fire . They whipped across her rosy face as she laughed into the wind, the speed of her trusted friend below.

"Faster Angus!" She screamed, as the hills blurred around them, collecting into one indiscernible image.

Everything was unfamiliar, from the colour of the thick of the trees to the formidable size of the mountains, that no longer looked in the distance but dominated her view.

"Stop! Stop, Angus. Good lad!" She called, as they were cleared from the small strip of woods that they travelled through, emerging into the top of the glen, created from a steady rain fall from rock.

From deep in the ground, a giant rock arose as if reaching its mighty hand to the open sky, its mottled top moulded from years of relentless weather. As Merida dismounted, her chin raised, gazing up at its incredible size, the lonesome rock standing like a statue among the earthy palette.

"Wait here, boy." She said, as she pulled the bag from his back, placing it open on the floor in front of him, allowing the apples to spill out in front of him. In return, Angus grunted in excitement.

Merida advanced toward the rock heap in long, determined strides, her hands meeting the rough surface with ease. The motions that allowed her to pull herself to the top, cane like second nature, as easy as walking. Grunts escaped her parted lips as she reached the top, struggling lightly to stand in her feet.

Spinning around, Merida gazed out across the open landscape that now hind before her feet. Everything seemed smaller, within reach of her eager finger tips, more than ever before. The sound of trickling water met her ears gladly, before her hands reached the steady string of flowing water, the cool liquid slipping over her pale skin. She brought the puddle back to her lips, running like ice down her throat.

Throwing the remaining liquid to the wind, it dispersed like glittering diamonds. She cast her arms back, greeting the gales with wide arms as she screamed into the air, her voice loosing itself to vast open land.

Angus greeted her with a happy trot as she returned to the ground swiftly, the front of her dark blue dress damp from the trickles of water that escaped her chin. She laughed loudly at the smile that she could see appearing on the horses face, as she brought a hand over his neck, placing the empty bag on the saddle. Pulling herself up, she retrieved two apples from the second bag in his back, one for Angus and one for herself.

Before long, the pair were flying across the fields and forests once again, until they soon arrived to the familiar wooded territory that they had roamed together for year. Each tree had been marked from arrows and path dug from hooves- not one inch of the land had been left uncovered.

"You know where to go, Angus!" Merida shouted through the wind, her loud voice muffled only slightly by the covering of her wild hair.

They were travelling along the forest of Dunbroch, only an hours ride from the castle. It was a low laying forest. Another two hours ride from the mountains that she was rarely able to explore and half and hour from the rough shores that surrounded the isle. Over the years, she had hung targets on rope from trees and branches, standing at every angle possible.

As Angus sped rapidly through the trees, Merida reached her arm over her shoulder, retrieving the beautifully carved bow from her back. She held it in her arms, admiring it for a moment, before she retrieved an arrow, wasting no time in drawing it backwards, releasing the pointed stone straight into the middle of the target.

She laughed as Angus cried out in delight, digging his back heels as he leaned over called trunk, increasing in speed. Arrow after arrow was released, all hitting the target one after the other, in lightning speed. It was as if she didn't even need to see where she aimed; instead there was a sense of where the arrow would land. And each time it did.

"Alright, lad. Let's try the big finish before we go back." Merida leaned forward as she spoke to him, batting his neck before pushing herself backwards.

Merida carefully pulled her legs to her chest, as Angus slowed his pace, while remaining quick. She held on to the reins, lifting her backside up and gradually straightening her legs, until she stood bent over on his back. Quickly, she pulled herself up, her feet looked around the straps of his saddle.

Merida screeched and screamed in excitement as she finally stood aback Angus' back, her arms held wide in balance. Swiftly, she reached back again for an arrow, pulling it back in the bow and releasing it, hitting a far away target as she passed.

As he knees began to wobble, she shouted, "Slow down Angus!"

From among the thick of the trees, a man had heard the laughed and the shouts. As the Viking advanced on the loud noises, his eyes were met with the strange sight. The girl was wobbling in her horse, her back bending backward and forth as she desperately attempted to stay standing on its back. She pulled one last arrow and it hit the centre of its target. But as her head spun back around, her eyes landed on the lurking figure, taking in the toughness of the unknown man.

Ragnar continued to watch surprised as the young girl with the flaming red hair, screeched, her knees wobbling one last time as her horse landed in a ditch, his back dipping slightly, throwing her off balance.

"Angus!" The girl screeched, as she landed roughly in the mud, the dry dirt smudging over her dress.

"Mother's going to bloody murder me now!" She complained. As she stood up, her eyes searched the empty tree-line, but the man was not there.