CHAPTER THREE

Chapter three

Mist rolled across the shoreline in a thick, grey cloud, breaking only for the protruding masts of the boats that were rowing from the south and onto their beaches. A drizzle had started to pour from the black clouds that hung from above. Though the weather was almost always dark and dreary, it seemed, to Merida, to be a sign. She wasn't supposed to marry one of the Lord's sons.

Merida watched as the three large boats sailed closer to the dull beach, their anchors dropping as they finally slowed to a stop. She had managed to escape her mother's clutching claws and had rode from the castle to the beach, on the back of Angus. On foot the journey would take almost two hours from the sea to the castle, giving time to anchor and wade through the icy and sometimes rough tide. The shores of Dunbroch had an unforgiving nature- especially toward the unfamiliar. Not many people venture more than a mile from the safety of the castle walls.

For Merida, it took less than an hour to return. To her, that left plenty of time to get ready, though most of it would be taken up by her mother's persistent nagging.

"Good lord, why do you do this to me?" Elinor's voice was close to a screech as she pulled Merida from the stables once again.

"I only went for a ride." She whined, as she was dragged back to the castle.

The preparations for the tournament had begun barely a day after Merida had been told of her marriage to be. She hadn't fully adjusted to the fact that in a matter of days she may be sailing away to a home far less grander than her own and a family that she would have responsibility of. It was daunting: the idea that she would never have the life that she wanted. In the end, she knew she would have to put up with it, for the sake of her kingdom and her family- though she would never tell her mother so.

"Did you see the clans?" Elinor asked, as she whisked her into her room, pushing her down onto a chair by the window.

"Yes they were anchoring."

Elinor suddenly stopped brushing through her hair, spinning her around in slight panic.

"They didn't see you, did they?"

"No, mother. I had Angus." Merida groaned, taking the brush from her hand and doing it herself.

Her mother moved to the wooden desk in the corner of the room and retrieved a long piece of golden ribbon. She moved the brush out of the way, before beginning to twirl the ribbon around her hair, weaving it intricately until it was wound together, laying down her back, all the way to her legs.

"Now put this on. Almost ready."

Elinor dropped the dress to the floor, holding it as her daughter stepped into the fabric before pulling it up and resting it on her shoulders. The blue material hung limply until it was pulled tightly at the back, a long bow left hanging.

Merida felt like a doll. The stiff material held her in place, her arms jutting at an angle to prevent the seams from ripping. The dress reached the floor, it's tail trailing behind and wrapping around her feet.

"You look beautiful." Her mother said, her words for once sincere and loving. Merida smiled warmly in return.

"I don't think I can walk in this." She breathed, as she stepped forward to grip her mother's outstretched arms.

"Give me a turn." Elinor called, as she helped her start off her movement by lightly swinging her arms. Merida sighed as she twirled, her movements awkward and blocky.

"I can't do this." She whispered, her eyes blinking as she cast her eyes down toward her covered feet.

"Merida, my daughter..." her mother began, her eyes welling with emotion, but she lifted her chin, swallowing her feelings. "We must go prepare."