𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 24

𐂂

The mist rolled across the ground at the feet of their houses. All around them was grey and green, and a murky colour in between. Nothing like the stark white of Kattegat or the lush emeralds of Dunbroch.

Merida shivered in her coat despite the fact that she was the warmest she'd been in weeks. Though Bjorn had tried, rather shabbily, to comfort her, she was still unnerved by their current journey. She was riding straight through to the heart of Wessex with Ragnar and his intimate group- a collection which she was both unsurprised and at the same time nonplussed to be apart of.

The wooden walls in which the city stood were looming up ahead, mere minutes ride away. She felt the horse shuffle beneath her, as if he could sense her unease, pushing for her to turn back. And as much as she wanted to, she couldn't. Not when this would lead to a life she wanted to have. Not with Bjorn lurking by her side either.

She could feel his eyes on her, feel then staring at the side of her face, taking in every inch. Merida had caught him in the act multiple times already. It was as if something had shifted with him, and she always found him gazing at her, face perplexed and perhaps worried too.

He too noticed her look back, and smiled. "Do you remember what I said?"

"About what?"

"I won't let anything happen to you."

She felt her cheeks rising with heat and her eyebrows furrowed- when was the last time she had blushed? It could have been out of fear or embarrassment too though, not just out of flattery. Merida sighed, her fingers clenching around the reigns until her knuckles turned white.

"It's not me that I'm worrying about. What if he recognises me? What if he thinks it's a threat, my presence? What if he uses it against Ragnar or my father?" She said, shaking her head blindly. "I wouldn't want you, or anyone for that matter to be hurt because of me."

"That won't happen."

"How can you know?"

Bjorn's lips thinned into a straight line. He didn't reply.

"Welcome. I bid you all welcome."

Merida's eyes skipped past the rest of the group in front of her in favour of glancing to the owner of the voice that had spoken. She stood behind Lagertha, Bjorn to her side and slightly in front, as if shielding her.

She held her breath as her gaze met the sight of King Ecbert, eyes sly but inviting, prodding her to look. She didn't let her breath go again until his own eyes had past straight over her, lingering for only a second longer than it should have. Tightly, she felt a hand wrap around her forearm, holding her place and subsiding the anger that fizzled up her spine.

Bjorn was looking at her in that way that he always did, yet again. Glancing up, she sent him a thankful smile, shoulders deflating slightly as his hand's hold softened, but didn't move.

"Earl Ragnar."

"He is King now," Athelstan butted in- Merida was surprised by his boldness. Though he'd been in Kattegat, there was always a delicateness about him that never ceased to calm people.

"King Ragnar lothbrok," Ecbert raises a brow, either impressed or threatened. She didn't like the idea of either. "What happened to King Horik?"

"He met with a, uh... unfortunate accident," Ragnar said slowly.

"Then we are truly equal."

It took until she was seated at a dining table, Bjorn to her right and Floki to her left, for Merida to realise that she was comparing everything in sight to Kattegat. The fire that flickered against the dark walls was nothing like the warmth that radiated from the main hall when she and the son's of Ragnar would sing. The food that laid untouched in their tarnished platters seemed wasted in the middle of the tense table. It was just as she had done with Dunbroch to Kattegat. Perhaps she was beginning to think of her place at Kattegat as more a home than anything else.

She didn't have the heart to brush off the hand that was still resting against her arm that in turn leaned against her thigh. Bjorn's hood didn't feel intimate in anyway. If fact it was more, the feeling of his fingers on her mottled skin was comforting, relieving and needed. She knew if he took it away, she'd be reaching for it, feeling a ghost of what her skin missed.

That thought worried her.

It worried her enough to be distracted until she heard a murmur around her. She glanced to Lagertha, seeing her visibly tense.

"That is not part of our original agreement, but in good faith and in hopes of creating a long and prosperous friendship, I will fight," Ragnar said, staring straight Ecbert. "But I cannot speak for the others."

"You are all right?"

"I'm fine," she said, nodding. "What are they agreeing to fight for?"

Bjorn let a small smile slide onto his lips, but his face never turned to fully look at her.

"They want us to fight for the Princess Kwenthrith. For her throne," he said. She nodded to show her understanding.

Rolo had agreed. As has Floki. Ragnar turned to look at his son, a glimmer of pride behind his gaze.

"I will fight," Bjorn said, not a hint of hesitation in his voice.

"All have agreed except Lagertha."

King Ecbert whispered something to Athelstan, who nodded, standing to take another position beside Lagertha. He translated.

"In order to establish the settlement here in Wessex, I need the help of one of your leaders. A strong leader, someone that my nobles will respect," he said, waiting as a translation was quickly uttered.

Lagertha nodded along with her reply, eyes wide and interrogative as she watched the foreign king.

"She agreed to remain in Wessex to establish the settlement and help farm the land."

King Ecbert smiled, eyeing the man behind Lagertha. "And you also must stay, Athelstan. You can speak for all sides. We need you. I need you."

Silence ensued for a moment longer until Athelstan moved to his side once again. Then he raised his cup, nodding his head as the others followed.

"Skol!"

They stood to leave, Ragnar heading out first with Lagertha not long behind. Merida had never been so relieved to be up and out. She hadn't touched the food- she couldn't bring herself to. Instead she sat, watching as Bjorn ate and drank, laughing happily as they kept to themselves. It was like a line had been drawn across the middle of the table, and none were to cross unless necessary.

Merida stood shortly after Bjorn, happy to get out as quickly as possible. But she felt piercing eyes on her back the minute she left her chair.

"I believe my eyes deceive me."

She let out a score, turning to face the King.

"I'd heard of my old friend Fergus' rebel princess but I hadn't quite believed it."

Bjorn visibly stiffened, moving his back so half of his body covered hers from view, shoulders squared. King Ecbert smirked at the movement, eyeing between the two. Merida almost wanted to push him away from in front of her. But his closeness again gave her warmth, pushing back the icy that shivered her shoulders from the minute the man spoke. And Bjorn just wanted to protect her, how could she ever push him away for that?

"What a fine protector your Northmen make," he said, pausing momentarily as he stared straight to her. "Princess Merida."

"King Ecbert."

"I look forward to making your acquaintance a second time."

She forced herself to nod her head low before she slipped from the room, ignoring Ragnar's look as she followed after him, Bjorn hot in her heels.

"As do I."

𐂂

Majorly unedited
Sorry for the wait, I've started sixth form so I've got tonnes of work at the moment but I'm writing as much as possible x