CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Chapter eighteen

The training day with Lagertha had begun with Merida being ordered to change her clothes. Apparently dresses weren't the most practical of clothes and trousers were preferred. Oh how Merida would have loved to be told that in Dunbroch! She could only imagine what her mother would have said at the sight of her. She would have looked far too much like a boy for Elinor's taste, or for anyone's preference back in Dunbroch. But to be told it was preferred not to wear a dress, she couldn't have been happier.

As soon as she stepped out with fresh clothes, Lagertha had given her a sword. It wasn't anything special, a simple weapon, too heavy to be finely made but light enough to be used. It reminded her of her brothers' first swords- her father had always told them that they wouldn't behold the family crest on their weapons until they were worthy to show them. Merida twirled it around, feeling the cold metal on her fingers.

And with a flash of filled silver, Lagertha whipped her own sword forward, twisting it over her head, purposefully slow enough so Merida had time to deflect. But only just. She stumbled backward in surprise, keeping her footing and holding the sword up.

"First rule. Never let your guard down. Ever," Lagertha said. Merida nodded.

The woman held the blade evenly in her hands, as if it were an extension to her own arm, a weapon carved from her own tough skin. Her own body was dangerous. Lagertha wielded the sword smoothly, advancing again to slash the sword down against Merida.

She held the sword as her father had once told her to. It was a faint memory, of Hamish and Harris tumbling over each other, not bothering with their well-fashioned blades. Hubert to the side, his favourite daggers in his hand as one of the chief's aids helped him train. And Fergus, a proud grin on his face as Merida waved the sword in front of her. It was her father's sword- decorates with his coat of armed, the metal never dull, even after years of legendary use. But Merida's weapon had always been a bow.

She pushed back again Lagertha's strong arm, catching a wooden shield that was thrown her way. Lagertha have her a moment to adjust her stance, watching her and copying her exact movements and hold. Then she was crashing her sword down upon her again, the clank of metal hitting metal screeching through her ears.

Merida could tell that Lagertha was holding back, but she fought hard still, remembering as much as her father had told her as she could. Although Lagertha played easier, it didn't stop a thin layer of sweat from glistening against her forehead. A crowd had formed to the edge of the beach where they trained. Even the coolness of the floor couldn't relieve her hot head as she was thrown backwards, her head hitting hard against the gritty sand.

Merida brought the sword up, only just rolling out of the way as Lagertha brought the sword down to plant itself in the sand beside her head.

"Rule number two- don't get distracted by those around you. Be aware but not involved." Merida nodded again.

She started to her feet again and they circled each other, a smirk on Lagertha's face.

"You have a crowd. Larger than normal."

"Why?" Merida breathed out, only just managing to dodge as Lagertha edged forward.

She was still holding back. Merida felt so slow against her. Had it been real, she would have been cut to pieces by then.

"They're surprised." She lunged forward again. "Usually new shieldmaidens aren't quite as experienced."

"Who said I couldn't fight?"

Lagertha took a quick glance to the side and Merida used it to take her own aim forward. She stepped back, blocking her easily but smiled.

"Good."

They continued to step around each other, and Lagertha let Merida copy her movements in practice. She bent her wrists slightly, letting them move looser and Merida felt her speed increasing with each new swing of the sword.

"But Bjorn doesn't seem surprised. He's seen you fight?"

"Not with a sword," she managed to say as she puffed out in exhaustion.

"Then with what?" Lagertha slowed, letting her speak.

"A bow."

"Archery?" Lagertha asked in surprise. Merida nodded. "I want to see."

She stopped abruptly, slapping the sword down so it stuck tall from the sand and shouted to someone. The man ran away quickly and Lagertha turned to look at her with a raised brow.

"Archery isn't something we usually practice," she said.

"I've been learning to shoot since I was young. I think I'm good enough," Merida said modestly, making her smile.

She was definitely good enough.

The man returned holding out a bow, which Lagertha let Merida take. It felt far too heavy in her hands, too bulky too, and nothing like the beautiful bows in her father's armoury. They were always held to the highest inspection, finely crafted and paid for in piles of coins. They would have nothing but the best. She held the bow up, notching the arrow, letting it slide against her fingers. Far too flimsy.

"How good is your aim?" Lagertha asked.

"I'd say it was good." The woman smiled knowingly.

"Aim for the stag. Above the hut." She pointed but Merida had already turned and aimed.

She let the arrow fly, hitting its target in the middle of the antlers, the centre of the wooden face.

"Good," Lagertha said, leaving it at that.

She turned, glancing at the people that stood by the beach watching them. Bjorn smiled, and turned to leave swiftly. Merida returned it- turning too, as if she hadn't seen him at all. Lagertha chuckled from behind.

God, was she glad she left home.