CHAPTER TWELVE

Chapter twelve

"Bjorn."

Merida glanced over to the blonde as he walked over toward them from the lower end of the boat, his feet stomping loudly against the wooden bottom. He glanced toward Floki, silently questioning why he had been called.

"Tell her about Norway."

"It is cold and white."

He shrugged, the large fur that he had pulled around his shoulders slipping forward and hanging limply from his neck. It looked like a whole bearskin, hugging his large figure tightly.

"How amazing you are at description, Bjorn!"

"Nothing like the green in Dunbroch."

His comparison, although simple, seemed to wake her up from the delusions that she had convinced herself into. Merida had told herself that she would leave Dunbroch to venture into a world different to the one she already knew. But if Bjorn and his people hadn't been a big enough hint, it was far more complex than what she had originally thought.

"I didn't come for a duplicate of my kingdom. I came for a new start. Something different."

Merida attempted to convince herself. Bjorn could see right through her lies. He sat staring at her, eyebrows furrowed with his arms crossed over his knees.

After a moments pause, Floki spoke. "You may not be so bad, princess. But I have a feeling that our Gods will not like your presence here."

"I have a feeling too. That our Gods are not so different. That they're closer than we think." Merida nodded, watching as Floki left them, a slight inquisitive tilt to his head.

"I am surprised." Bjorn spoke up and Merida switched her position so she was sitting and looking at him.

"What by?" She asked.

"Floki. He likes you. I didn't think he would."

Merida smiled thankfully. She had been wary of the man thanks to his scrutinising stare and dark aura. She had quickly understood that if any, it would be Floki that she had to look out for most on the boat. But she knew that the North Men wouldn't take well to a foreigner being freely on their boat home.

"Why not?"

"At home, there is a priest, named Athelstan. He doesn't like him."

"A Christian priest? Where from?" Merida exclaimed.

"Northumbria." Bjorn answered and she nodded, lost in thought. "My turn for questions."

"Where did you learn to shoot?" He asked, and she smiled faintly at the memory that her answer brought with it.

"My father."

She could still remember the moment King Fergus had given her the first bow that she had ever called her own. It was the birthday before the foreign force had attacked their kingdom and before he had lost his leg. It had never left her side during the conflict, despite it nearly by the same size as her, and she practiced it every day, until her father came back to a young daughter who was an expert with the weapon. The bow itself was beautiful. But her mother had thrown it in the fire.

"It seems like not many women fight like the men in your kingdom." Bjorn stated, and she shook her head.

"No they don't." She said. "I still remember when my father first taught me. You should have heard my mother- mad as ever."

Merida pulled herself up smoothly, turning around and holding her arms stiffly up like her mother had. She put on a fed up tone as she mimicked her. "Ladies, do not have a weapon. Ladies, do not own a bow."

She sighed as she looked out at the vast expanse of water. Dunbroch was still visible in the distance behind them, but she finally felt as if she would never be going back again. During her show of her mother, Merida had turned her back to Bjorn and the rest of the boat without realising, loosing herself in her sadness.

She turned to face him, asking, "Tell me about the shieldmaiden's, Bjorn. Tell me about your mother."

Bjorn smiled fondly. "Her name is Lagertha. The greatest Sheildmaiden. She taught me almost everything I know."

"And not your father?"

"No. My father has a new wife. Aslaug- the mother of my brothers." He explained, and Merida searched for pain on his face, but there was none. She had never known anyone to split up as he had said. But, then again, she couple only name a few couples, thanks to her status. He continued, "My mother left Ragnar when I was younger."

They were interrupted by the obvious sound of Ragnar's footsteps. He appeared beside them, gazing between the two with wide, knowing eyes.

"Princess. If you're going to learn our language, you must start now." He said, tilting his head expectantly. "Tell me where you want to start."