PROLOGUE

Prologue

Dunbroch had always been a kingdom that prided itself on its undefeated history and tough inhabitants. It was ruled by a loved leader named King Fergus, who was know through the lands for his iron like punch and love of festivities.

Legend followed the kingdom of Dunbroch like a shadow, but nothing was quite as great as King Fergus himself.

As Legend was told to believe, a great foreign army descended on the kingdoms rocky shores when he first became king. It was a threat that no one had ever seen before, and their size was unmissable. The attackers would come to be known as Vikings to those in Dunbroch and even to Mercia- for their wrath was built with fury and rumours were made that they were immortal.

But King Fergus proved myth wrong. He charged at the enemy in front of his own great army, his eyes wide and sword glistening and gleaming. They named him the Bear King for his massive size and ruthless and gruesome fighting that persisted through the battles fought to protect his kingdom.

Not even an axe to the leg could stop the mighty king as he continued to slash against the Vikings, his sword drenched in thick layers of blood. Another swipe to the leg and it was hanging by a thread. He took his own sword and swiped his leg clean from his flesh, forcing a plank of wood into his wound in place of leg.

Though slowed down and off balance, the Bear King was not dismayed. On the back of his trusted horse, he ploughed through the opposite forces at lightening speed. His sword swirled through victim after victim, splitting them from head to two, until the last lead was left on his knees begging for mercy in a language they couldn't comprehend.

It was this very legend, that was told for years to come, that inspired Merida's fate and forged a bond between father and daughter through the love of battle.