𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 25

𐂂

She avoided them all as if they were diseased, skirting around the camp on light toes. But it seemed her attempts at evasion were pointless, they seemed to single her out as easily as an owl could pick up its prey. But after spending a short while with Bjorn, working on her sword and bow and arrow, she'd quickly come to learn that the quietness wasn't too bad. There was something about it that settled her, despite the thought of fact that the man her father loathed was sitting only yards away on his throne.

Her grip on her quiver never eased as she walked around the horse and cart, Bjorn behind her, watching carefully as Lagertha settled atop of it, Athelstan beside her. The pair stood like guards next to the trailer- neither of them trusted the man she was to meet. Especially after seeing the horror on Merida's face, upon exiting the throne room only an hour before.

Bjorn nudged her side sharply, gaining her attention. Merida scowled but gave it to him all the same.

"You remember what I said?"

"How could I not? You repeated it so often that the words may as well be etched into my brain!" She said between laughs.

He shook his head. "I'm serious."

"So am I."

"Nothing will happen to you," he said, elbow knocking again to brush against her side, his other hand gripped upon the edge of his sword. The touch was comforting. It was pleasant, knowing he had her back- even if she was adamant that she would never come to need it.

"I know."

"That's why I think you should go with Lagertha," he said quickly.

"To farm?"

"Yes. To show you truly aren't a threat," he explained.

"I know you don't want me to fight, Bjorn. But Lagertha is right. I won't ever be a good shield maiden if I haven't had practice," she stopped, noticing the look on his face. "Stop looking at me like that."

His fair brows were raised, lips in a smirk, pale eyes piercing her way. Merida stared back, silently daring.

"Looking? I'm not looking- what do you mean? Looking?" He teased, jaw clenching as she squared up.

But then she laughed, an airy sound that trickled past his ears, easing his shoulders. She blinked, watching the change of expression like a hawk eyeing a mouse.

"If fighting is what you want to do, then I won't stop you." He smiled, lunging to the side to pick up her sheathed sword. "I fact, I will fight proudly by your side, sword in hand."

He held it out, silver glinting from where it peaked from beneath the leather scabbard. Taking it in hand, she stared at the beautiful work, feeling the lightness of the weapon. 

"I never did teach you to shoot," she muttered, twisting the sword in her hand.

She was shaken by Bjorn's voice: bold and sudden. "Let's make a bargain!" He said, taking her by the shoulders excitedly. "Live through this battle and I will do anything you want. Learn to shoot an arrow, give you a weeks worth of drink. Anything."

"I don't need to make a bargain to make myself fight hard enough," Merida smirked, slipping from his hold to point the sword toward his neck. "But I'll take it."