CHAPTER 41

CHAPTER 41

The open water was a welcome sight, the sound of waves lapping against the wood of the boats a pleasing melody. A brisk coolness of the air spoke of warnings of the oncoming winter that would soon leave the very same seas fearsome and perilous. But for now, the skies remained blue and calm for the length of their journey home, and for a full, last day Kattegat loomed clearly in the horizon, coming closer and closer until their ships breached the shore.

The village seemed larger than she remembered, bustling with the joy and noise of life, again leaving Merida's heart aching for a home she had not seen in so long. The hills in the far distance remained a lush green, much like those of Dunbroch, but unlike home, they would soon be coated in the white blanketing of crisp snow.

Merida tried not to think of home as she walked beside Bjorn, heading to the hall in the heart of the village. Behind them, large, ornate chests were being carried like a parade, a promise of new wealth to the population. Cheers followed them and the two could not help but smile.

Bjorn's brothers met them with a shout, greeting him with an engulfing hug at the doors of the hall. He pretended to topple over beneath their weight, laughing loudly as they piled on top of him. How much they reminded her of her brothers, now that they were grown. Merida's heart gave a lurch at the memory of them. Had it been long enough now that they would look different? Her brothers would be nearing the age of maturity, turning from boys into men. Would she recognise them still? She let Bjorn have his moment with them as she directed the chests into the room.

The treasures were already being admired by Aslaug and her ladies, by the time Ragnar's sons made their way over. The younger boys clamoured over to her. Merdia met them with a hug.

"You're so grown now," she marvelled, looking down at them at arm's length. "Let me see your muscles."

The boys grinned as they showed off. Even Ivar in his chair began to preen.

"Bigger than Bjorn's."

The man in question only rolled his eyes as he toyed through the treasure, handing a golden circlet to the youngest of the brothers.

"And for Ivar."

"So Paris was everything Athelstan said it would be," Aslaug said, eyes narrow as she observed the mountains of chests being brought in.

"Yes and everything Ragnar dreamed. And more besides."

With Ragnar bed-bound and locked in a deep, unwavering sleep, it was left to Bjorn to welcome the raiders back to Kattegat with his speech above the village. They gathered by the beach, below the rock Bjorn stood upon with the Queen. He looked every part a leader, standing with his chin raised and face neutral but warm. Something swelled within her at the sight.

"Today we mourn for our dead but we should all be proud of what we have achieved!" Shouts rang out as he spoke, holding up his symbolic prize. "This is a lock from the gates of pairs! I hacked it off myself. Paris has made us all rich. But to be rich only means one thing. To satisfy our dreams."

Dreams of far-off places and lands filled with mysteries and fortunes untold. Dreams of all they could learn of and prosper from. Of glory and gold. Dreams of those who would come back to their homeland changed for the better with wealth and acclaim. Dreams of those who would not return but would dine with the Gods in Valhalla, heroes in death.

"Nothing can stop us!" The shouts called for Bjorn as if he were their King. The chants and screams were like a pride-filled song. They soon sobered up as Bjorn began to speak again. "Now Ragnar is dangerously ill. It is true he may die. But who is your king?"

Ragnar, the chant went, their shields and fists being smacked against anything that would make a formidable noise. Queen Aslaug stood stoically in the back. Merida joined in along with them. Ragnar!

"And to whom do we owe our allegiance?"

Ragnar!

"And to whom do we owe our gratitude?"

Ragnar!

The man inspired such loyalty that Merida was reminded of her father. Of the Bear King who had conquered the invading Danes and protected their Kingdom from the grabbing hands of the North and South.

"Ragnar himself has always shown his gratitude to those who have trusted and believed in him. For example, his loyal friend, the English monk Athelstan. Who helped him to understand many things. Ragnar always claimed we went to Paris because of Athelstan."

Silence gripped the crowd on the beach. Merida could see exactly where Bjorn was staring. Floki stood in the middle of everyone, never dropping his line of sight. A noiseless stand-off.

"Therefore, I order the arrest of Floki for the murder of Athelstan."

Noise erupted into the space. Merida only stared and watched. Loyal to Ragnar and his son, the people flocked to Floki's side, weapons raised in the offence. Floki's eyes were wild with rage, with betrayal.

"What I did, I did for the common good, for the sake of all of us. I have nothing to answer for. Don't you remember, Bjorn? How we talked about that Christian priest, and how you also feared his influence on your father?" They held back his arms as he shouted and thrashed. "Why don't you admit it? Admit it!"

Bjorn only watched him, his stance solemn and serious as Floki was overwhelmed by the townsmen. Helga cried as she watched them take him, following as closely as she could, dark-rimmed eyes bloodshot from the sudden rush of tears. Merida watched silently, arms folded. She found Bjorn at the base of his dais-like rock, the Queen long disappeared.

"You didn't tell me you were going to do that," she said and Bjorn sighed, anticipating her disapproval. He turned away from her but Merida caught his arm and forced his head down to look at her.

"I had not decided until I was stood upon that rock in front of everyone, Floki staring up at me."

"Why? Would it not have been better to wait until Ragnar is well enough to decide?" She pressed, brows furrowed and lips bitten.

"But what if my father doesn't get better? Hm? What if the great Ragnar dies?" She could sense the distress in such words, the worry. "Then it all falls on me."

The responsibility, the weight of the title of ruler. Merida had feared such a thing once, but that seemed so long ago now.

"And you will catch it with gracious arms," she said with a smile, her hands on either side of his face, warm and caressing. "But Bjorn... you are not alone. You have your mother, you have the elders. You have me."

His lips pressed swiftly against hers, so calm yet so passionate, but he pulled away as swiftly as he had leaned in.

"And you're going to leave."

The way he said it didn't make her hurt. He seemed upset by the thought, as she'd imagined and hoped because it meant he cared. 'You're my strength', he'd said, and not having her by his side would be a weakness. But she needed to leave, to return home, to see her family once again.

"Yes, I am. And you would not deny me that."

"No, I wouldn't," he said. His fingers were cool against the skin of her cheek. "There are things we both must do."

"There are." Merida clutched the necklace at her throat. "But we will see each other again."

Sorry for the longer wait for this one. I haven't been feeling well this past week so I've been putting off writing. A change in pace and scenery is coming and so are a few new characters! I'll update the cast list once they're introduced, but I hope you like them. They're a new creation in the plan of this story but I'm already really happy with their direction! As always, thank you for reading and I'll try get the next update out in the next few days too<3