CHAPTER NINE

Chapter nine

While Merida had been sent away to the castle, her mother had remained to give a speech. She was silently steaming as she placed herself on the throne, ready to address the crowds after her sudden burst of anger toward her daughter.

Just as she was about to begin, Lord Macintosh stood forward from the other two Lords. Her glanced around, his nose in the air as he requested to speak. The King allowed it and he stepped forward again.

"Your highness, we were discussing and we would like to bring to light an attempt that was made that would make yourselves look like fools, to put it bluntly." He exclaimed, and Elinor gasped in horrified shock at his boldness. She coughed for Fergus to take control.

"Who is 'we'?" Her husband asked.

"The Lords and I, King Fergus." Lord Macintosh informed, as he glanced back to the other two who still stood a step behind him, not daring to move.

"You may speak, what is it?" Elinor asked, nodding her head as an order.

Lord Macintosh paused, looking over toward Bjorn and Ragnar, before stepping forward once again and shouting their claim. "We believe that the Northman cheated in your last round of the competition, your highness."

"In what way?" She asked, her brow raised.

Elinor remained calm. As for Fergus, he almost chocked as he coughed in surprise. He didn't know what to believe. Having grown close to Ragnar however, as he looked over at his embarrassed and betrayed expression, he wanted to believe him badly.

"Instead of capturing the Forrest fox, they caught another and presented it as the real one." He accused them.
Bjorn began to step forward, preparing to scream out in argument, but his father held him back by the arm.

"Is this true, Ragnar?" King Fergus asked him.

"You offend me by accusing my son?" He responded calmly, though the King could understand that it was directed toward the Lord Macintosh.

"I only wish to know the truth." He said, with a kind smile.

"But you would doubt us?" Ragnar almost seemed to be testing him, waiting for his reply.

Fergus tilted his head toward in agreement of his challenge, before deciding, "We will take matter further in the great hall."

"But-" Lord Macintosh began to complain, but Fergus silences him.

"That is enough!" He screamed, before nodding his head for them to disperse.

"Mother!"

Merida had been waiting on the bottom of the castle steps, ready to protest against her mother. But as they burst through the large doors, a scowl was on her face. The Lords, Ragnar and Bjorn, and a few guards followed the King and Queen, forcing her to follow after them.

"Not now Merida." Her mother shouted, casting her aside with a harsh glance.

"What's happening? Are you alright?" She asked. Merida had noticed the tired look on her father's face too.

"I'm fine, my darling." He sighed, placing a hand in her cheek as he sat down on his throne. "It's just something has come up as problem- with the Lords and the Northmen."

"What?" She gasped.

"Lord Macintosh claims that Ragnar and his son cheated in the second round. The other Lords back him up." Fergus explained regretfully and Merida shook her head.

"But that's not true. You know it isn't." She exclaimed.

"I know, Merida. But they've got us in a bad position. What will it look like if we take the side of Ragnar and Bjorn rather than our neighbouring clans, with no evidence to support us?" He said, and Merida gazed across the line of men that stood looking anywhere but at each other. "We asked them here to strengthen the bonds between us- not break them."