CHAPTER FOUR

Chapter four

Merida sat at the table, surrounded by the lords and their sons. She felt out of place. While they spoke of the adventures they had experienced, she was lost for words. She had never been allowed to go off on her own often. The most she had done was learn to shoot an arrow and climb the Devil's peak. Though they were noble conquests, it was a minor tale in comparison to the legends that surrounded her.

As she sat and listened politely, her mother's words rang through her mind.  "A princess shouldn't have a weapon." "A lady shouldn't stuff her gob." "Remember to smile." They should be simple, and yet they were exhausting. She took small bites of her food, in fears of bursting her dress or filling her mouth too full, though it was hard to eat when she could barely even breath.

"King Fergus!"

Merida was brought from her trance as a young messenger appeared at her father's side, his squeaky and anxious voice meeting her ears. His hands shook slightly as the wrung them together.

"What is it, wee lad?" The King asked pleasantly.

The boy leaned in slightly to talk in a hushed tone, in words he had been exactly told to say. "There are men in the forest, half an hours walk from the castle. They're armed and show no identification on their weapon art or armour."

"The commander asks for your orders." He added, as Fergus sat pensive.

"My daughter is to be married soon." He stated firstly.

"They've not even competed yet, father."

"Send some men on horses. See what they want. Then inform me." He nodded, before turning to the boy and giving him the orders.

"Who do you think they are? Father?" Merida asked, her face etching with worry. The King's eyebrows were furrowed as he thought, before shrugging his shoulders.

"I don't know." He said honestly. "Lords, we ask, do you have any stragglers?"

"No, my King, all our men are here."

"Foreigners?" Merida whispered, her heartbeat racing at the thought of an army of men at their borders. The selfish thought of adventure.

"Don't you worry Merida, we'll wait for news."

Wait for news, is what they did. Both sat impatiently, legs bobbing up and down as they faintly listened to the conversations that floated across the Lords' table. Merida perked you as she saw her fathers eyes widen and lighten, hearing footsteps from behind her seat.

"Your highness!" The same young boy said, his voice discreet still, though the Lords seemed uninterested. "They're northmen that speak are language."

"They wish to speak to your council."

"Northmen, you can understand them?" He sat straight in his chair, his hands reaching to tub through his own scruffy beard.

"Father?" Merida asked in a voice no louder than a whisper. "The men from the legend?"

"Perhaps, Merida." He breathed out, before ordering. "Allow their leaders in, the rest wait outside the castle walls, guarded."

"How many?" He asked lastly.

"Thirty. Men and women."

"Bring them in, I'll prepare the Lords." He said, while running a hand across his face.

King Fergus sighed as he turned to the men at the table. They were nosy and had already faced him in both curiosity and concern.

"My Lords." He started, to gain their attention that was already there. "It seems we have guests that seek my audience."