Entry 7

I'm back!!! Its been a couple of days, and I've been struggling to think of what to write next. I'm trying not to follow the original Naruto storyline, and I have some ideas, but I'm not often able to figure out what to write next. I'm always willing to get ideas from the folks out there on the internet (so long as they're relevant). SEND ME SOME SUGGESTIONS!

Kakashi Hatake.

I stand outside the interrogation tent, recalling the conversation I had with Lady Tsunade yesterday.

“Kakashi, I trust you. Can you do something for me?”

“Of course, milady. What?”

She looks down, avoiding meeting my gaze. “I want you to keep an eye on Hana. She seems…different. I don’t know. She isn’t the person she was when she left.”

“It has been sixteen years, milady.”

“I am well aware of that, Kakashi.” She folds her arms in an exaggerated motion. “That is why I am asking you to keep her out of trouble. Make sure she follows the rules, and that she keeps to herself.”

I sigh, licking my lips behind my mask. This was going to be difficult. “Yes, Lady Tsunade. I’ll do it.”

I listen now, as one of the occupiers of the tent inhales sharply. I think this is just about over.

Turning on my heel, I lift a hand to the cloth at the opening of the tent. About to pull it back, I stop short. There are hushed voices, whispering harshly. My visible eye narrows as I try to listen.

“Didn’t…it. I just…find what…looking…”

“…okay…………”

Frowning, I reach a hand out as the curtain opens and two familiar platinum blonds leave the tent, Inoichi with his arm around his daughter’s shoulders. I nod a hello, and then enter the tent. Coming face to face with Ibiki, who seems to have been expecting me, I slide my hands into my pockets, leaning on one leg.

“How’d it go?” I ask calmly.

Ibiki shrugs, his scarred face creasing. “Not well. She seems to be as difficult to interrogate as ever.”

“Did you expect anything different?”

“No.” He places a hand on my shoulder. “I think you’ll have better luck just questioning her.”

I shuffle. “If she doesn’t want us to know, we’ll never know. I think that’s plain to see.”

“You’re right as ever, Kakashi.” The big man groans, holding a hand to the bridge of his nose. “Those defences of hers are impenetrable. We won’t be trying again.”

“You’d only hurt yourself.” I mutter, glancing at Hana, who is sitting back, head against her chest. “You’re not going to get anything out of her.” Pushing Ibiki’s hand from my shoulder, I kneel down in front of Hana, taking the headband away from her eye. I drink in her peaceful expression, the way the serrated scar through her right eye is healing, and the slight rise and fall of her body as she breathes, resting. Our fingers interlock as I take hold of her hand.

Ibiki leaves the tent and I stay here, holding onto Hana’s hand, as if she will vanish, evaporate, like she did before. I won’t allow her to walk out of my life again, not without saying goodbye.

Hinata Hyuga.

I walk through the market street beside Kiba and Akamaru. It’s quite a busy morning; vendors are setting up their stalls and wares, calling out friendlily to passers-by. I do love market mornings.

Akamaru trots along happily, sniffing at the air and barking at the villagers. His tail wags faster and faster, beating a rhythm between mine and Kiba’s legs. Glancing around, I see Kurenai sensei by a stall selling fruit.

“Sensei!!!” Kiba calls out and she turns to us, smiling, eyes closed.

We walk in her direction, reaching her, only to notice that she is talking to two other people.

“Kakashi sensei, how are you?” I ask, looking at the ground sheepishly as the strange blindfolded person faces me.

“Err, good, thanks Hinata.” Kakashi answers.

“It’s been so long, Hana.” Kurenai beams, touching a hand to the woman’s cheek, just below her headband. In response, she pushes Kurenai sensei’s hand away and hugs her gently.

“So it has, Kurenai,” comes the reply, her voice soft and melodic. “I’m assuming…” she gestures towards sensei’s bump, “that As…” Kakashi cuts her off by putting a hand over the woman’s mouth, one finger to his lips.

“Not the time.”

“It’s okay, Kakashi.” Kurenai breathes, rubbing a hand on her stomach. “She didn’t know.”

Kiba’s eyes narrow at the stranger, Kurenai and Kakashi sending him warning looks.

“She didn’t know, and we don’t know her. Who is she?” he growls, Akamaru hiding behind his legs.

The stranger swivels around, standing toe-to-toe with Kiba. She places a hand in her pocket, in a similar style to Kakashi. A smirk makes its way onto her face.

“How nice of you to ask. I am Hana Namikaze.” Her smirk is traded for a genuine smile as she tilts her head, somehow studying Kiba from behind her headband. “You must be an Inuzuka, and a student of Kurenai at that. I would know those movements anywhere.”

Kiba raises an eyebrow, eyes locking with Hana’s, although he cannot see them. “Yes, I am an Inuzuka.” His voice is rough, intimidating. “You got a problem with that, pal?”

“None.” Hana bites her lip, shaking her head a little, clearing away a few stray thoughts. “Our mothers were quite good friends, and your senseis and I were in the same class at the academy.”

“Really?” I ask politely. “Kurenai sensei, you and this woman went to school together?”

My sensei giggles. “Yeah. That was a long time ago. I was actually a year below you guys though.”

“Yes. When Shougo died and I left the squad, you joined Gai and…” Hana begins, then stops herself, noticing a drop in the mood. She quickly recovers. “Well, it’s good to know that the next generation is safe and sound in your capable care.”

Hana turns back to us. “You must be Hinata.” I nod shyly, hands twisting under her non-existent gaze. “Provided you accept, you will be accompanying Kakashi, Naruto and I on our next mission. You should report to the Hokage as soon as possible.” I nod again, feeling both elated and extremely nervous at the same time.

“Thank you, miss.” I whisper, hoping she doesn’t hear me.

“Call me Hana.” She says as she and Kakashi bid Kurenai sensei farewell.

Kiba huffs, folding his arms over his chest. “I’m not calling her anything.”

“Why not, Kiba-kun? She seems really nice to me.”

“My sister is Hana.” He bares his fangs. “Something weird is going on here.”