Flashback

A/N: Heya guys (if you ever read this *hopeful shrug*) thought I'd actually make an author's note. Feels pretty strange. I really don't think my story will be read - simply because I'm incompetent of completing a novel. This'll probably end up at the bottom of my sock drawer.
Anyways, I hope you won't get angry with me, you Naruto experts, as I'm planning on messing with some of the past of Naruto in order to add Hana in. Forgive me, otakus!!!

Dedicated to Yamatocookie, for being the second person to vote for my work!!!!

************************************************************
Hana Namikaze.

It's dark outside. Raining.
   I've always liked the rain. The way it connects the sky and earth. The pattern of its small droplets, falling without synchronicity. They stain my soaking vest as I sit in a tree, one leg hanging lazily from the branch.
   I miss them. My family. The few of them that may still be alive. I remember father, and how he used to sit on the doorstep and whistle. I remember how mother played a pipe flute, but only when she thought nobody could hear. I remember Uncle Minato would gather me in his arms and I wouldn't know where I was in the world, only that my favourite people were there. It all comes back to the rain.
   I was born blind in my left eye, minimal sight in my right. The medical ninja blamed a condition where the nerves leading to the retina were deteriorating. So I've never really been able to see anything.
   Although mother was completely against it, both father and uncle enrolled me in the ninja academy when I turned six. I was several years younger than my classmates, but I loved learning about ninja life, and the history of our village. I made few friends, preferring to keep to myself. I wasn't lonely, just cautious.
   And, despite my lack of sight, I quickly found ways in which I could master both ninjutsu and taijutsu. Genjutsu was beyond me, so it also didn't have an affect on me.
   At home, both father and uncle Minato spent time helping me to control chakra and to develop me own jutsu. No one had heard of a blind ninja before. I think they were proud.
   Aged nine, I passed my exam and became a genin. I was quickly assigned to a three man squad, along with a jonin sensei. My teammates were Might Gai and Asuma Sarutobi, and my sensei a man named Shougo Hideyuki.
   Sensei was an expert in taijutsu, and it wasn't often that he was found carrying a kunai. He was easy to get along with, when you paid attention. There were certainly moments I don't want to remember. His teaching style was very visual, so I had some difficulty in learning from him.
   Much of the time, our missions were simple, and I got on well with my team. Asuma specialised in using knuckleduster chakra blades, and Gai used his strength and youthfulness to form intricate taijutsu techniques.
   I was always different. Minato spent hours training me in his impossible jutsu. The Yellow Flash passed on all he could. He said that I was a prodigy, but all I ever did was listen and repeat. It took me a week to master the Rasengan, a jutsu that took uncle three whole years to develop.
   On our tenth mission, Shougo sensei had a serious accident when we crossed paths with a squad of elite ninja from am unknown village. Sensei did not survive, and as a recently promoted chunin, I took more than a hit for my team. I lost my right eye in that final fight, although we prevailed, completing the mission and making it safely back to Konoha. Gai and Asuma saw me differently from then on.
   It was raining that day too. It seems that wherever I go, I am followed by the rain, never ending. It is mine. And mine alone.