Entry 9

Naruto Uzumaki.

The mission is tomorrow, so I'm looking for Kakashi Sensei, hoping to get in some last minute training. Instead, I find Hana, lying on the roof of sensei's apartment.

I think she is asleep, though I can’t be completely sure. I creep forwards, getting back into my old prankster ways. A smirk makes its way onto my face as I get closer to her, pulling out a black pen. Reaching for her face, I pull off the cap and…

A hand grips mine. I look down to see Hana, holding my wrist tightly, breathing hard. She pants heavily, dropping her hand and turning over, coughing. And it isn't your average nasty cold cough either. When she coughs, the movements shake her entire body violently.

It is several minutes before the coughing ceases, and my then, there is a big puddle of blood on the roof. Hana heaves before settling, wiping her hands on her vest, staining it a deep red.

"H-H-Hana, are you okay?" I ask cautiously. To this, she turns to face me, rubbing the back of her hand against her mouth.

"It's nothing." she whispers, taking a deep breath. "You saw nothing."

I watch as she picks herself up from the roof and walks away, her hands held tightly against her stomach. I try to help, but she pushes away my hands.

"I can handle this by myself, Naruto. I have been for some time now." And with that, she leaves.

"I only wanted to know if you've seen Kakashi sensei." I say to emptiness. "You're the one who'd know."

Kakashi Hatake.

It's been a few days since our...sparring match, and since then, I've seen little to none of Hana.  What can I say? If she doesn't want to be found, she won't be.

She hasn't come back to my apartment since, so I can only assume that she has been granted a place of her own. She is one of the many people who crosses my mind, all too often, and, I suppose, one I may actually speak with. She is alive, unlike most of the people I have ever cared for. I don't want to lose her again.

Casting my eyes down, I realise that I'm not actually reading my book. It's just there. My mind is too preoccupied.

I look up in time to notice Naruto, who seems a little worried. His eyes meet mine, and I instantly know something is wrong.

"What's up, Naruto?" I query casually. I hope he doesn't notice the slight shakiness in my voice.

"Errrrr...nothin' much, sensei. I was gonna ask about getting in some training before tomorrow's mission, but…"

I'm suspicious now. "But what?"

"Errrrr……...nothing, Kakashi sensei" He goes to walk away, but I grab his arm, staring him down.

"What's wrong, Naruto?" There's an edginess to it now, and a lump has begun forming in the back of my throat. "Talk to me."

He sighs in frustration. "I didn't see anything, okay. Nothing happened."

Turning his head away, he pouts, eyes narrow. "Why d'you wanna know anyway, sensei?"

I let go. "I don't know what you're hiding from me, Naruto, but I'll find out, sooner or later."

I'm about to leave him, when he adds, "You might wanna keep a better watch on Hana. She's not feeling very well." Before I can interrogate him further, he runs off.

An hour later…

I land lightly on the roof, holding my hands out for balance as I slip. Looking down, I see a large blood puddle, slowly drying, but still red. I squint, noticing that there is a trail of this blood, and make the decision to follow it.

Naruto was right, I think. If she's bleeding this much, something must be wrong.

The trail is faint, though seeming to become wider as I carry on. It's almost too much, enough that she should be in hospital. She won't go. Even if it is in her best interest. She's far too selfless.

I'm too focussed on this following before I realise that I'm being watched.

"I need to speak with you, Hana."

She does not reply. I turn to face her, taking in her blood-stained vest, the spatters on her hair and face, the way her shoulders droop, but that her arms are clenched firmly around her middle. Trying to hold herself together. Her headband seems to be falling off, draping around her nose.

I take a few small steps forward, gently taking her hand. She does not react to my touch, even as I take off her headband completely. Behind it are what is left of her eyes. The left is there, closed, but bruised. The right eyelid is sewn up, quite messily, hollow and empty. My hand brushes her cheek and she turns her head slightly, pushing it into my hand. A smile slowly slips onto her face, and although it isn't forced, it doesn't look comfortable. She's in pain.

"Talk to me."

"I'm fine, K. You worry too much."

"I worry because you don't tell me things." With those words, my hands rest on her hips, and hers drop from her stomach. "Where's the injury?"

Hana takes a deep breath, biting her lip. She opens her mouth to speak, but then I see it. The thick blood coating her teeth and tongue. She shuts it, hesitating.

"How long has this been going on?" She says nothing. "TELL ME!!!"

Still she doesn't reply. Instead, Hana wraps her arms around my neck in a hug and, although it startles me, I return it as carefully as I can. She begins coughing and lets go.