Chapter 1 - Freedom

Anjali 

I was on the phone with my lawyer as it was already 10AM and considering Mumbai traffic if Mr. Mehta (my lawyer) hasn't started yet, we will never be able to make it on time. "Mr. Mehta, please don't be late, not today. Our hearing with the judge is at 11AM. I really don't want to push this hearing any further. " 

He replied "Don't worry Anjali ji, I am already on my way. Are you closer to the court?". Of course I was, I didn't want to be late to this final hearing. This date was scheduled after so many reschedules as my husband Mr. Manish Gupta had his own tasks to complete. Well, I should no longer call him my husband. Today, was the day when I was finally putting an end to namesake marriage. 

"Anjali ji, do you hear me? ", Mr. Mehta's voice brought me back to reality. 

I replied "Yes, Mr. Mehta. I am reaching court in 10 minutes" 

"Good good. I will be there." His reply came back. Something told me, this man was going to be late. Oh God, please aaj sab thik kar dena. I honestly didn't know how to feel. I was as usual stranded in traffic jam but I knew, I will still be there in 10 minutes. Technically, I was only 2 minutes away and could have got down the auto and walked to the court but if Manish decides to get there earlier which is highly unknown/unheard of, I didn't want to face him or rather I just couldn't bring myself to be standing calmly infront of him.

"Please let everything be okay today"

Finally finally, 5 years of my namesake marriage + almost 2 years of divorce proceedings was coming to an end. The 5 years were such a nightmare - No, stop thinking Anjali! You will spiral down all emotions again. May be Mom was right,I should have let her or Pooja my best friend accompany me. I knew Papa would have accompanied me with a heavy heart too but I decided to spare my parents from going through feeling of sadness today. Today, was supposed to be a happy day after say about noon. I will be free. Manish and I will be legally divorced !  

I had taken few days off from work and decided to just spend time alone at home. Umm, not alone, Mamma and Papa will be there.

Oh good, the family court banner was visible outside. I was just paying the auto rickshaw when my phone started ringing. Ofcourse, it had to be mom. 

"Ma, I just reached. Was paying the auto rickshaw fare. I am fine ! Please don't stress out!" I tried to be as calm as possible. 

"Anjali, you know that isn't possible. You have your water bottle , right? Keep drinking beta, its too hot outside. " She said on the phone trying to be calm too. 

"Ma, you handed me the bottle yourself. What is it ? Tell me." I asked her 

"Beta, is Mr. Mehta there? I don't want you to be alone even for a minute. If he is with you , I will be assured. You should have allowed me to come with you. " It was just hard for them. I couldn't even begin to imagine how may parents were feeling. Their only child, their daughter's marriage was ending today.

"Ma, I am fine, please understand. Mr. Mehta will be here before scheduled time. He has assured me. Please relax Ma! and don't put so much stress on Papa too. You both are old now and that is why I didn't want you to be here in this sun. Everything will be fine. Ok? and don't call me again. I will call when my work is done." I was just making her understand when I saw another man standing probably a couple feet away from me in business casuals talking on the cell phone too. 

He had a deep throaty voice and he was speaking in Hindi so I could understand very well. 

 "Haan haan. Bas aaj sab khatam hi ho jayega. Socha to nahi tha lekin shayad aisa hona hai zindagi main. Chal main baad me baat karta hun, Shikha is here already. !"