Chapter 30 - Pagphere

Anjali

It was such a calm and serene drive amidst chaos. I loved being back in chaos of Mumbai, the busy streets and the constant honking of bikes, auto's, tempo's , cars , buses and trucks was seemingly irritating at times but today after days and days of beach silence, I was loving it all. We drove past Marine Drive when the city was nearing sunset and the picture was excellent.

 We drove past Marine Drive when the city was nearing sunset and the picture was excellent

I was somewhere close to Marine Drive this past weekend and took this scene in :) 

********

I was dumbfounded. Shiv had parked the car outside a creepy looking car garage in an alleyway I would never set foot in. I genuinely thought there was something wrong with Shiv's car which is why he had bought it here. Although, I was still confused because what kind of surprise was this. Needless to say, my heart was pounding against my chest. A young man in his twenties I suppose came by wearing overall suit that mechanics wear. His hands were dirty with oiling grease and I moved an inch closer to standing beside Shiv, my husband.

Shiv and the man greeted each other while I tried to assess the situation. What were we doing in a car garage? 

"This garage is owned by Papa's friend and his son, Mr. SaiKrishna. Here, this is Sai. They actually have a lot of empty space in their backyard and this place is close to us. I was thinking you can learn driving here. I will teach you. What do you say? This place is close to your workplace and close to me too. We can come here after work or basically anytime that is suitable basically."

Sai spoke up, "Shiv Bhai, I also have a learners car which I just serviced up. The car has the foot controls on both driver side and passenger. So really, whatever you and Bhabhi are comfortable with."  

"Shiv ye sab kya hai?." I turned to question Shiv and I saw Sai moving away with a quick "I'll be around." to give us privacy to talk.

Shiv, what is all of this?

His chubby face lit up as he spoke, "You didn't get it yet, did you? Remember, I said I will teach you driving and that this will be the project together for us after we return from Mauritius?"  

Was it even possible to feel butterflies at this time? I could feel flurries in my heart when he reminded of the moment he had said he would teach me driving on our wedding night. 

"Aap ne kaha tha ki aap ko driving sikhni thi lekin mauka hi nahi mila. I think you should definitely learn driving, it will make you independent. I mean, I will be at your service always but it's good to learn to drive. I also think it is a good bonding exercise and will give us some committed time with each other as we settle back in our routine."

You'd said that you wanted to learn driving but never got the opportunity.

He does say things which I have said before.It is absolutely necessary to spend quality time to form a good bonding and I wanted to have the strongest bond with Shiv. I internally smiled, I  love you, Shiv!