Chapter 16 - We are now a team, right?

Shiv

"Ma ji, Anjali has said yes to this alliance too." Aunty smiled at Dadi.

Dadi's eyes started to fill up and Aunty moved closer to Dadi and hugged her. If I was right, both the ladies were crying at the moment. My brother got up and patted my back. Over on my left, I saw both the fathers stood up to hug each other. My father came up to hug me and I hugged him back which was then followed by Anjali's father hugging me too.

While I was happy, I had to talk to Anjali and make sure it was still her decision and not her parents. I had this doubt may be because, I was silently expecting her to directly tell me her thoughts and her inclination as I had a direct word with her. I made a mental note to immediately call her after Uncle and Aunty left. For now, I was ready to believe my new bride, yes my bride was shy and still trying to trust me. It was natural that she trusted her parents more. 

Dadi then pointedly looked at Harshit and said , "Khoteya, mithai saamne hai. Sabka ka muh to mitha karao. "

Donkey, the sweets are infront of you. Feed everyone on this happy occasion.  

Harshit did exactly that except that he only fed me a super small piece knowing that I was on diet. "Congrats Bhai, but this all what you will get." He murmured the last bit. My brother was seriously out of his mind. I gave him 'don't mess with me' looks but he happily took the box and fed Dadi some mithai. Even Dadi who was diabetic was getting more mithai than me.  

Anjali's father was speaking to my father on my left with folded hands, "Bhai sahab, we were just leaving our house to come here when Anjali called and informed us. Our Anjali has just one thing she wanted us to tell you all."

"Aap beti de rahe hain. Haath to hame jodne chahiye. Jo bhi hai khul ke bolein. " My father answered while I looked curiously at Uncle while Dadi looked on as well. 

You are giving your daughter to us. We should fold our hands. Whatever it is, please tell us without hesitations.

"She wants a very simple wedding with few people. Now, we would understand if that is not the case with you all. We can talk it over with Anjali again."

I chimed in, "Papa, sorry I am disrespecting the elders by chiming in but I want what Anjali wants too. A simple wedding with absolute close relatives. " I had everybody's attention now.

Dadi nodded and chuckled, "You haven't even taken Ashirwaad from Dadi, Mr. Big Man and already ready for marriage." Papa was chuckling too. I got up and bowed down to Dadi. She blessed me and Anjali with years of togetherness and I pulled the empty chair closer to her to sit close to her.

"Shekhar ji, roka lekar kab aayein? Rishta pakka hai na?" My dadi said wiping her tears.

When do we come with roka? The marriage is final, right?

"Yes yes. How about next weekend Ma ji. We can decide the wedding date and other formalities too."  

"That sounds good." 

"Mitha bhi ho gaya. Chai reh gayi hai, Dadi." My brother called out to Dadi looking at me. I knew what he was doing. I always made tea whenever he had guests, he just wanted me to make the tea today as well to show to my future in-laws that I could cook.  

We ate sweets, but the tea is pending

"Hmm. So Shekhar ji , Mohini ji, ready to taste Shiv's hand made tea? Today, your damaad will make chai for you." Dadi called out to my in-laws.

"Oh no, Ma ji, I will make it if you allow me to. " Aunty even got up from her seated position with a start.

"Aunty, please sit down. Bhai makes very good chai. He will make it for everyone. " My brother was in a teasing mode today.