Chapter 34 - Admit It, You Like This

Anjali

Shivani Di immediately ran inside hugged her father. She started sobbing much to the horror of Riya. Riya stood rooted on her spot and I went to stand close to her. She had a backpack hung on her shoulders but her hands immediately grabbed me by waist and she hugged me tightly. 

Papa seemed equally shocked too. "Shivani, what happened? Itni subah subah ki flight se aayi ho aur kisi ko bataya bhi nahi. Aise kyun ro rahi ho beta. Kya hua?" 

Shivani Di continued crying though. I only imagine what Papa must be feeling because I was scared now. I hugged back Riya and felt her shoulders shaking too. The little girl was definitely disturbed. 

"Where is Dadi, Papa?" Shivani Di asked.

"Beta, she went back a couple of days ago. Harshit went to drop her and will be back tomorrow. Kya hua hai, beta?" Papa made Shivani Di sit on the couch and he said beside her. Shivani Di had buried herself in Papa's arm and wouldn't stop crying. It was then I noticed, she had draped a shawl across herself and she looked ill. 

Papa then looked at me, "Take Riya beta inside, Anjali."

I nodded in response and urged Riya to walk with me. Riya wiped her tears and looked at Papa, "Nana, Why is Mumma crying?"

Papa immediately responded, "Go with your Mami, Riya. Go, wash your face and freshen up. Nana will sit with you and we will listen to new stories then. Ok? "

Riya walked with me bursting into fresh tears. My heart broke for the little girl. But more than that, I felt the calm from Papa's voice even though I knew he must be worried. Slowly, I was starting to see resemblance between the family members. 

I took Riya to my room's bathroom and helped her wash her face. She was tall enough already to reach the sink but she wasn't big enough to clean herself when she was so upset. 

She then wanted to use the restroom so I was now waiting in my room. I took Riya's backpack and kept it on the table below our bedroom TV. I was reminded of the time I went to stay with my parents after my first argument with Manish. I had found out about Manish's hidden orientation then but then I couldn't tell my parents anything. I had simply cried in my mothers lap citing that I had missed them. I could tell back then that my actions had worried my parents a lot. I just didn't have the courage to tell them anything.  

Fear engulfed me for Shivani Di - I hope there was nothing wrong in her marriage. Just then, Riya walked out of the washroom and sat down with long sullen face   

She was wearing a warm sweater and I wondered at how caring mother hearts were. Shivani Di 's mother heart had taken care of her child in such a delicate moment too. I sat down next to Riya and hugged her, I didn't know what to say to a child as old as Riya in a moment like this. 

Burying her face in my chest, Riya mumbled against my stomach, "Mami, Mumma and Papa were fighting like this last night. I heard voices in my room. I am very scared. Do you think they will get divorced like Shikha Mama and Shiv Maama?"

I kissed the top of her head. This girl was so scared and rightly worried. She had heard her parents fighting. I prayed once again that things weren't as serious as they were appearing to be. "No baby. Stop crying. You said you Mumma and Papa were fighting, right? Beta, when you fight with your friends, don't you go to your Mumma or Papa?"

The girl nodded at me. 

"Similarly beta, your Mumma is here to talk to her Papa. Everything will be ok. You don't think too much. You must be hungry. Will you eat hot aloo parathas?" I asked her hoping to distract her.