Chapter 20 - What are you thinking?

Anjali

I couldn't sleep at all. New place and new feelings! I didn't toss or turn as I had heard him tossing around a little bit too. Maybe, even he was finding it hard to sleep next to me or may be he couldn't sleep due to excessive exhaustion like me too. However, there was absolute calm and silence now except for occasional small snores. Assuming he is asleep, I turned around to get a sense of how late or early in the morning it was. I didn't even know where my mobile and I didn't bother to check where the wall clock in the room was to get any idea of time. Suddenly I heard, "Nind nahi aa rahi ?" I almost gasped. 

Can't sleep?

"I thought you were asleep." I said

"I was but now I am awake. What happened to you? Feeling ok?"

"Yeah, it's just the change of place and exertion from all the preparations." 

"Hmmm" He hummed and then I saw his hand reached out to my forehead and applied light pressure to check for a fever, "Bukhar nahi hai, ab bhi nervous ya dari hui to nahi ho na?"

You don't have a fever, are you still nervous or scared?

"No, just sometimes I am unable to sleep when I am over exhausted. Did I or my movements wake you up?"

"No, I am a light sleeper. And you are right, sometimes it's difficult to fall sleep after exhaustion. Let's try and sleep some. We don't want to be looking like zombies tomorrow. " 

"Hmmm" I was lost in thoughts as to there were so many things I didn't know about him , about his family and his home. And the, he had reached out to my hand on my side and interlaced his own with mine. My heart started racing. 

"Anjali, kya soch rahi hain aap?" I looked at him and even with the little of night bulb, I could see his concerned look as he placed his other hand beneath his head resting on a pillow.

Anjali, what are you thinking?

"Jee. Kuch nahi." I responded looking at our interlaced hands as he raised them to be closer to him. 

No, nothing

"Look. I know Pooja is your best friend and may be you don't hide anything from her. Pooja will continue to hold that special place in your life. But you can share stuff with me too. Can I be your other best friend with whom you share things ? Hmm?" 

Our hands were still interlaced and now he was stroking the back if my palm with his thumb. 

"Hmmm" It was an instant automatic response from me. 

"So now tell me, what are you thinking?" He asked me, his voice sleepy but his body turned towards me.

"I know you so little, I don't even know if you like tea or coffee in the morning. I don't know what Uncle or Harshit eat for breakfast. I was just thinking as to what I should be making in the morning for everyone." He gave me the sweetest smile in the warm light of the night bulb. 

"We just began our journey today. Well, yesterday as per calendar day. Give us time. Meri pasand na pasand sab samajh aa jayegi aapko. Bahot kuch mujhe bhi aapke baare me nahi pata hai. And Madam, aapko lagta hai ki aapko subah kitchen me entry milegi? Aisa nahi hoga. Aap nayi navheli dulhan hain meri. Waise mujhe chai pasand hai subah. Hmm? " He explained to me as though I was a little girl. 

You will learn all my likes/dislikes. There is a lot even I don't know about you. And, do you think you will get entry in the kitchen? You are my newly wedded wife. It won't happen. I like tea by the way in the mornings.

"Hmmm. "

"Aur kuch, madam?" Our palms were still interlaced.

"No. You are sleepy, Shiv. I'll try to sleep too." I smiled.