Chapter 33

ELLIOT'S P.O.V

"Shark," I called loudly and only seconds later Shark and Peaches were running into my room, fighting over my attention. Since everybody went on tour, they decided it'd be easier to leave the dogs with me rather than finding somebody to take care of them. And I loved them so I didn't mind. I'd started picking up double shifts at the coffee shop since I had nothing else to do. It was rough. I hated Billie being gone but I didn't want to ruin tour for her. I would've been a buzzkill. Billie would've just been worried about where I was and what I was doing and if I was okay the whole time, and I didn't want that. I wanted her to have a good time. So saying that I didn't want to go wasn't a complete lie. She'd only been gone a week though and I'd already cried because I just wanted a hug.

"Babies," I said excitedly as the dogs wagged their tails, licking me. "I love you." I grabbed Shark's head and kissed his nose. Today was my off day. I was working six days a week and I still dreaded my off days. My phone started ringing and I quickly picked it up, fully expecting it to be Billie, Claudia, or Finneas, but it was actually Zoe. I stared at it for a second before answering.

"Helloo," Zoe said happily.

"Hey." I laughed a little. "What's up? It's been a minute, huh?"

"Yeah. I've been hella bored with everybody gone. You wanna hang out?"

"Sure. You wanna come over here?"

"Yeah. I'll be there in like twenty-five minutes, cool?"

"Mm-hm."

-

"I think this is probably the cleanest I have ever seen this house," Zoe said as she stepped inside.

I laughed. "Yeah. I've been obsessively cleaning since I have nothing else to do."

"Really? I wish that's what I did in my free time. I just sit there and binge new shows."

"I don't really find the telly that entertaining after a while. I have trouble just sitting there."

"I don't really find the telly that entertaining after a while," she mocked in a horrid attempt at my accent.

"Funny. Did you get your hair cut?"

"Yeah. Do you like it?" she asked, grabbing a small strand.

I nodded. "I think it looks dope."

"Thanks." She smiled, her cheeks turning a light pink.

"Mm-hm."

"When did you get a septum piercing?" she asked, stepping a little closer.

"Oh. I've had it. I just didn't have it in for a little while."

"Oh, okay."

"Uh-huh." I nodded, pursing my lips. I didn't like it. Conversation with her just didn't flow well. We didn't have much to talk about. We barely knew each other. And I wasn't very good at socializing.

-

"Okay, but why did he do that?" Zoe asked, throwing her hands up.

"Well, he didn't know that she was gonna go off and do all that," I defended as we argued about one of the characters in whatever show it was she had me watching with her.

"But still."

"He did something that was very—"

"Impulsive?"

"Well, yes but—"

"Reckless?"

"Zoe, let me talk." I laughed.

"I'm just messing with you." She pushed me lightly. She was very touchy and I didn't necessarily like it but it was nice to have somebody to talk to. I wasn't surprised though. Billie was a very touchy person too and they were best friends so it made sense that they acted similarly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad or anything—"

"Oh, no. I just got lost in thought for a second. You're good."

"Okay."

Again, I didn't like it. I didn't know Zoe and I wasn't good at socializing.

"Do you ever miss living in England?"

I took some time to consider the question before answering, finally. "Not anymore. I love it and all but there isn't much to miss."

"Have you lived anywhere else in the US besides California?"

"Arizona and New York."

"Cool. I am curious though, do your parents live here too? Or did you come on your own?"

She asked lots of questions. "My parents aren't really around, but I lived with my gran and she was pretty understanding."

"Oh. What happened—if you don't mind my asking."

"I don't really want to talk about it right now if that's okay. Maybe another day?"

She took my hand in hers and squeezed it. "Of course. Hey, I have another question."

I raised my eyebrows, pulling my hand away from hers and setting it in my lap. "Billie was being all bitchy the day she left because she said too much was going on. What was she talking about? I didn't really get the chance to ask."

"Oh." I shrugged. "You know..."

She just stared at me.

"Just life. There just aren't enough hours in the day, I guess."

"Oh. Well, uh... okay."